Itchiness driving me CRAZY!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

Itchiness driving me CRAZY!

#1 Post by weird_wired »

The top brace itched a tiny bit, but nothing much.

So getting the bottom brace on was a bit of a shock - they are just permanently, massively itchy. I would prefer pain to this, at least it's less irritating and you can take a painkiller.

What is the cure for itchy teeth? I'm sure it is because they are dying to move, but are too crowded against each other to do it quickly enough or something.

arrrggh - make it stop!

littleshaddies

#2 Post by littleshaddies »

Try clove oil, makes it all numb but tastes like, like....like :yuck:
And you wouldn't prefer pain, trust me! :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

spragers

#3 Post by spragers »

You might try lightly brushing your gums a bit, might be the gums that actually itch rather than the teeth.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Are you sure this isn't an allergic reaction to latex or metal? Have you discussed this with your ortho or dentist?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

No - it's getting better - the itchiness is kind of deep inside my teeth/roots where they are being pressured to move.

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

Don't worry...I know lots of people who descrbe the braces experience as "itchy". It'll get better. :)
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Helen

#7 Post by Helen »

weird_wired wrote:No - it's getting better - the itchiness is kind of deep inside my teeth/roots where they are being pressured to move.
alexa wrote:Don't worry...I know lots of people who descrbe the braces experience as "itchy". It'll get better. :)
That's interesting. I cannot remember a single patient claming about itchiness.
But I myself can relate. I would call the sensation I usually have after archwire changes a penetrating itchy pain.

My ortho seems to be reluctant in believing me. He's always like :roll: when I tell him about my itchy pain. Btw. I'm absolutely sure that in my case it's not an allergic problem.

Helen

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Until now I've never heard of teeth having an "itching" feeling. Maybe it's the way that the nerve is perceiving the feeling (??)

I wonder if Dr. J or Dr. Randall know anything about this sensation?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Gigabite

#9 Post by Gigabite »

My wisdom teeth felt very "itchy" when they were coming through and sometimes they even tickled (and not in a good way :( )

It definitely wasn't my gums as the sensation felt like it was coming from deep within the tooth. There was nothing I could do to make it stop but it went away eventually.

It might be an unusual phenomenon but perhaps it has to do with the differences in individuals' perception of pain/sensation.
Damon 3 braces

weird_wired

#10 Post by weird_wired »

Another way to describe the itchiness might be "jangling". Your teeth are sort of fizzing and jangling around, like they are hyper irritated with what is going on.

Sadly it's not something you can scratch!

Megera_S

#11 Post by Megera_S »

I just got my uppers and lowers on yesterday and already by lastnight I had "tooth itch" :(
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

KittyW

#12 Post by KittyW »

My teeth itched quite a bit when I first got braced. I noticed quite a bit of itching the past few days after my last adjustment. When they itch, they hurt quite a bit as well. I figured it was related to tooth movement. :)
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006