Soccer/sports with braces, possible?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Phantom

Soccer/sports with braces, possible?

#1 Post by Phantom »

I'm on spacers now, and i have to say they ain't that bad :D I reckon my 9 tooth extractions are worse. Anyway, i will be getting my braces (Top and bottom) next thursday. And i'm so excited, can't wait for that day to come.

My qns is "Will i be able to do sports with braces on?". I play soccer every sunday and i'm afraid one day i might just get a hard blow/contact n resulting cut inside the mouth by the braces. I'm quite a sporty/active guy, i do wakeboarding n stuff like that most of the time. Do i need a mouthguard or something?

Anyone have had experience with these can comment?

Echo

#2 Post by Echo »

My son has played football for the last two years with braces. Of course, in football they must wear a mouthguard and he had no problems. He is also a wrestler, and he chooses to wear a mouthguard for that too since it is very easy to get hit in the mouth in that sport. As for soccer, I don't think you would really need a mouthguard, but it might make you feel better if you wore one.
[/url]

HeadgearJoe

Re: Soccer/sports with braces, possible?

#3 Post by HeadgearJoe »

Phantom wrote:I'm on spacers now, and i have to say they ain't that bad :D I reckon my 9 tooth extractions are worse. Anyway, i will be getting my braces (Top and bottom) next thursday. And i'm so excited, can't wait for that day to come.

My qns is "Will i be able to do sports with braces on?". I play soccer every sunday and i'm afraid one day i might just get a hard blow/contact n resulting cut inside the mouth by the braces. I'm quite a sporty/active guy, i do wakeboarding n stuff like that most of the time. Do i need a mouthguard or something?

hi , oh yes , please wear a mouthguard any time playing sports , balls an elbows, an feet an hands can smash your lips right into your braces , i wear one playing softball, a ball can bounce right to your face any time , Headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Tin Man

#4 Post by Tin Man »

I played rugby with braces. Definantly always wear your mouthguard though. I lost mine one game and my mouth got torn apart. Cuts all over my lips. They got huge and swollen and I couldn't talk right for a week.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Phantom

#5 Post by Phantom »

Will i be able to shout with mouthguard? Or do i have to take it out whenever i wanna shout?

I'm playing a Centreback position therefore i've to consistently shout to position n demand my mates...

HeadgearJoe

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

Phantom wrote:Will i be able to shout with mouthguard? Or do i have to take it out whenever i wanna shout?

I'm playing a Centreback position therefore i've to consistently shout to position n demand my mates...
hi , the store bought mouthguards don't fit as well , tell your orthodontist the day you get fitted for braces that you play contact sports an shout alot an that you want to be fitted for a custom fit mouthguard , they will charge a little extra for it but there worth it , HeadgearJoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Phantom

#7 Post by Phantom »

Cool!!!

I think i will tell my orthodontist and ask him to custom one for me. The image of metal ripping my flesh is horrible, even if it's just a thought. I was like thinking if there's anybody who actually wear the mouthguard all the time to prevent ulcers etc..:D

johnnys_angel

#8 Post by johnnys_angel »

I never played with a mouthguard but I wish I had (girls are much more vicious then they seem :shock:)! Definitely get one!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Phantom

#9 Post by Phantom »

johnnys_angel wrote:I never played with a mouthguard but I wish I had (girls are much more vicious then they seem :shock:)! Definitely get one!
Woah... what happened? Some girl gave u a slap?
How bad was it?

TuZZi

#10 Post by TuZZi »

I play hockey without a mouthguard, but I wear a full face shield anytime I step on the ice. I asked my ortho about making me a mouthguard for ice hockey, softball, and ball hockey, but apparently my teeth stick out too far now, and a mouthguard would do more harm by stretching out my lips and cheeks?? That's what my ortho said anyways. He said by the time ball hockey and softball start in April my mouth will be better suited for a mouthguard, so until then, I just really have to watch out!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

invisagirl

#11 Post by invisagirl »

Definetly get a mouth guard. My ortho insisted on making me one when I told her I play soccer. Unfortunitly before the soccer season started I tore two ligaments that attach to my spine so haven't gotten to play with it. :cry:

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

Phantom

#12 Post by Phantom »

Are there anything out in the market that can cover the ligs (other then Wax) so that they can prevent ulcers?

I'm looking forward to buy one so that i will not get ulcers. Don't like the feeling of those ligs rubbing on a open ulcer, man...

As for the mouthguard, i will ask my orthodontist to prepare one for me. Are they expensive?

michael33

Re: Soccer/sports with braces, possible?

#13 Post by michael33 »

Phantom wrote:I'm on spacers now, and i have to say they ain't that bad :D I reckon my 9 tooth extractions are worse. Anyway, i will be getting my braces (Top and bottom) next thursday. And i'm so excited, can't wait for that day to come.

I play baseball & have braces. I am a catcher in a mens highly competitve league. I never had any problems, but I would wear a mouth guard if you are playing soccer

Phantom

#14 Post by Phantom »

Phantom wrote:Are there anything out in the market that can cover the ligs (other then Wax) so that they can prevent ulcers?

I'm looking forward to buy one so that i will not get ulcers. Don't like the feeling of those ligs rubbing on a open ulcer, man...

As for the mouthguard, i will ask my orthodontist to prepare one for me. Are they expensive?
Bumpy...~~! :)

fins

#15 Post by fins »

I don't know what prevents ulcers but warm salt water rinses will work pretty quickly to ease pain and heal. I think Colgate makes Peroxyl which is also pretty good to heal quickly.
fins