Tongue-pushing - really bad habit?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

Tongue-pushing - really bad habit?

#1 Post by weird_wired »

Since the pain has settled and my teeth are at the "clicky" stage, I find my tongue keeps "pushing" them to kind of "help" them move where they're being pulled (ie forwards/outwards towards the brace).

Is this a really bad thing? I don't know how I started doing it, it's mainly on my lowers. I think I must have started it without realising the last few days, because of the horrific itchiness, my tongue was trying to stop it.

I'm trying to stop this habit but it's sort of involuntary. I'm worried that this is really bad for my teeth - I'll have to tie my tongue up or something!

tokidoki

#2 Post by tokidoki »

I want to know the answer to this too. I do it a lot because it seems to relieve pain/pressure. Chewing gum is supposedly okay, I don't see how this is much different?

Anyway, someone please speak up!

Chocoholic

#3 Post by Chocoholic »

Yup I've become a bit of a tongue thruster too! And I find myself wedging my tongue between the gap between my upper and lower teeth.

I told my ortho about it and he told me to try and stop doing it! Chew gum or find another habit, but he said to stop pushing the teeth.

It's really annoying though and I just find myself doing it without thinking about it, so I do sympathise.

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

God it's so nice, isn't it? It's like cracking your knuckles.

I must quit somehow!

"Teeth clicking - the new crack".

;)

Megera_S

#5 Post by Megera_S »

I've been doing that too :oops: Whoops... I suddely have all these bad habits and it's only 4 days in! :lol:
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

The really annoying thing is I've just had a powerchain fitted, it's driving me nuts and the pressure hurts so bad that I find myself pushing my teeth out to try and lessen the tension.

Decided that drinking or eating cold things is better as it seems to help relax the wire a little. Hot things and ow it's like a vice.

LoobyLou

#7 Post by LoobyLou »

Gosh I'm doing that too... pushing on the clicky ones with my tongue 'helping' them along. Agh it's really hard to stop doing things like that but I'm gonna try and stop as I wouldn't like to carry the habit over after getting them removed!

xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

blaat

#8 Post by blaat »

Same here, i keep pushing against my lowers for pressure relief. Although i try to keep it at a minimum because it can screw up my bite (i.e open the bite) So i keep chewing as many gum as possible to relieve pain...
Uppers: Permanent retainer + hawley (night)
Lowers: Permanent retainer

Debanded since the 16th of Jan.