Dentist botched my extraction!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Dentist botched my extraction!

#1 Post by genxsis »

I am currently getting teeth extracted before I can get braces put on, and now that I've started, I can't turn back. My dentist, who recommended strongly in the first place that I get braced, pulled the top and bottom bicuspids on my left side. The bottom one broke off while being pulled, but he said he got all the root material out. A week later, I noticed a hole on the lingual side of the gum with something starting to poke out. I mentioned it to the dentist, but he just said again that all the root material was out (he didn't even look at it!). 2 weeks later, I mentioned it again, and he tried poking a sharp metal pick into it after I told him it was extremely sensitive :evil: I fliched and told him to "please stop, that really hurts!". Then he mentioned that I may have to see an oral surgeon, which will cost me big out of pocket cash. He also mentioned that the gum is a little infected. Then he sent me home.

I noticed today that the "root material" or whatever that white thing is starting to show itself in the side of my gum is now a little more visible. If it is root material left behind from the tooth that was extracted, will it eventually work its way out on its own, or will it cause an infection and get worse? I can't imagine that braces will be able to push a different tooth into that gap from the extraction very well if there is still a root in there.

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

This is gross negligence, and I would threaten the dentist with legal action if he continues like this. This is completely unacceptable. Is he going to be responsible for the problem he caused? :evil:

Wingnut

#3 Post by Wingnut »

genxsis,

Did you save the teeth? Typically, when a tooth breaks during an extraction, the dentist does fit the pieces together to ensure he has a complete tooth before releasing the patient.

Roots don't "poke out" of the gum. Roots are encased in bone. Even if he left a root piece in the socket, it wouldn't work it's way through the bone and come out the side, it would eventually drift up and out through the extraction hole.

You said he mentioned a gum infection. It's possible the hole you felt on the side was an abcess hole. Perhaps the tooth was infected and the infection drained through the gum. I'm not quite sure why that would necessitate a visit to an oral surgeon, however. Did the dentist give you a prescription for any antibiotics?

If anything, I'd ask him to take an x-ray of the area and see if anything shows on the film. (Abcess, broken bone fragment, root fragment... that would be a good starting point.)

Good luck to you and let us know the outcome.

fyrelight

#4 Post by fyrelight »

Sometimes the bone splinters during an extraction.... you may have a piece of bone sticking out. A proper dentist should x-ray that area, and see if he sees a piece of bone sticking out, then remove it for you, if so. Don't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion from another dentist if need be!
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Yow! I feel for you!

I totally agree with Lucyloop, go get a second opinion as the dentist you're going to obviously doesn't seem to care that much and if you have a gum infection you should have been given antibiotics to clear it up as they can turn really nasty if it goes down into the bone.

See what another dentist says and if it's bad make sure you get some kind of compensation from the dentist.

Mamatiger

#6 Post by Mamatiger »

I kinda had the same thing happen. Both on my right side, had four extractions. The top wasn't so bad, it was just a small sliver. But the bottom hurt for a very long time. I thought I had dry socket. And it looked ugly, all red and swollen. It very much upset me because my ortho thought I wasn't taking care of it. But about 3 weeks after the piece of bone came out, it was a decent sized piece also. And two days later, it healed completely and didn't hurt at all anymore. When they are doing extractions I guess it is common since when they are pulling them out to splinter some bone. It is really no big deal. THough I shouldn't say that becasue if someone had said that to me at the time, I probably would've punched them. I was a little upset with my dentist though also. He made it seem like it was no biggie and I wanted answers. But I guess it is just something like that, when it isn't happening to you, it is just something that happens. When you are the one in pain, you want to know exactly what went wrong, and when its going to stop. I hope it works out for you. By the way, I was put on anitbiotics since it did swell up for so long.

dkt3

#7 Post by dkt3 »

Im not sure if my experience may help but after one of my extractions a bit of bone was coming out of the hole. It was very small, but I could feel it. My extraction sights did get infected so I went back to the dentist who gave me antibiotics which cleared it up. The bit of bone either came out or healed over. I didnt have the sight ever hurt or it was never red. Just a little swollen and a bit of bone was coming out. It took about two or so months for the gum to heal totally over that bit of bone area but now I have no problems and my teeth are moving quicker on the side into the space!

genxsis

#8 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I have a bit of an embarrasing confession to make. I have a medical coverage that is paid for by the state called Medicaid, and this was the last dentist in the area to accept it, putting me in a unique situation. I wouldn't be able to get any compensation for anything as a result. By the way, the braces would not be covered by Medicaid. That's seperate.

As far as my condition, I can feel some of the pain in my jawbone now. I don't know if that means the infection has actually spread there.

When I make recommendations to my dentist, such as doing an xray--or if I tell him about something hard I felt sticking out of the side of my gum, or tell him about something I read about on the internet; he gets impatient with me. He's actually told me I shouldn't be trying to research these things on my own because it just gets me worried unnecessarily. And when he gets upset with me for wanting answers, that upsets me! And a doctor and patient who are upset with each other is not good. :cry:

Wingnut

#9 Post by Wingnut »

genxsis,

Don't be embarassed by Medicaid coverage. And being covered by Medicaid doesn't give your dentist the right to treat you poorly. You have rights as a patient and if you're in pain and you want an xray, he should take an xray. Do you have a Medicaid representative that can mediate your case if necessary? Or another doctor who accepts Medicaid who's perhaps a bit farther away?

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

Wingnut:

I don't have a medicaid representative. Worse yet, there are no other dentists who take Medicaid anywhere that I know of. I was told that the reason for that is because Medicaid only covers about 48% of their cost, making unworthwhile for them to take Medicaid patients. Even this dentist isn't taking them anymore, but is keeping just the ones he already has. My dad keeps telling me not to say anything to him that might upset him or he may stop taking me as a patient altogether, which doesn't make me feel like I'm very much in control of what happens in this situation.

Wingnut

#11 Post by Wingnut »

genxsis,

Medicaid is a state administered program. The state has to have contracts with providers who are willing to participate in the program. Contact your Medicaid office and ask for a list of participating dentists. You may not have an official representative but you did have to fill out forms and submit them somewhere to gain benefits - start there and work your way through the bureaucracy. They're counting on you not wanting to fight the system. Stay strong!

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

Okay, I will contact them to see if they can tell me about other dentists that accept payment from them. I'll let you know what I discover.

Also, my next appt. with my current dentist is next Thursday. I hope my mouth can wait until then! :wink:

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

It sounds to me like the dentist isn't properly evaluating your situation. I hope you can get the help you need if something is indeed wrong. It sounds like you have an infection and you may need antibiotics to cure it.

Regarding your financial situation, have you ever investigated other dental plans? I don't know how they would compare to what you pay for Medicaid, but it might not be too much more. There are plans which essentially are "lists" of doctors who have signed up to offer various services at a discount. They are called "discount plans" instead of being insurance. DentalPlans.com has a bunch of these, but there are other similar ones, too.

Also, are there any dental schools nearby that offer clinics? Perhaps a dental school could help you or find somebody who could help you.

These are two things you should look into. Less doctors and dentists are taking Medicaid and Medicare than ever before. It's quite a crisis for people who don't have other insurance and can't afford the high prices of doctors and treatments.

I have forwarded your story to Doc J and Doc Randall, because hopefully they can also give you a professional opinion on your situation.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

leah

medicade

#14 Post by leah »

Hi, I am also on Medicade, when I went to the oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth cut out, I was very worried about the cost, since I know medicade won't cover this, the surgeon told me that in his office they didn't care about the insurance that they would use it as a write off. so I guess I got really lucky. Maybe you could call around and see who if any in your area will take your insurance. Im so sorry for your horrible experience.
best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

dr.j

root material

#15 Post by dr.j »

Probably a broken root tip. Go see an oral surgeon and they can elevate it out - could be a bone spicule that needs to come out. The DMD should have been a little more receptive to your inquiries. But I think the earlier post regarding "gross negligence" and "legal action" may be a little too aggressive. Go find another dentist who has the time and inclination to help you out and listen - I think you will be fine once the irritant is removed.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho