new w/questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hopeful_4_2day

new w/questions

#1 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

Hi im new and Im from Houston Texas im 15 years old so im pretty young to must of yall since ive notice that everyone here is an adult :-** but any ways ive searched around because i was curious about viazis braces and then i stumble over new types of braces such as:

Damons

Sure Smile

Self Ligs

Now im very confused. Because some time soon when my parents are not so busy and i visit an ortho i dont know what type of braces i want but i do know for sure i dont wanna be in braces for more than 2 yrs.

Any advice people...especially on this sure smmile. Thanks a bunch everyone. :D

weird_wired

#2 Post by weird_wired »

Well, the time it takes is the time it takes - if you're very lucky, it can be as little as 12 months, if you need more work done it can take several years.

However, many of the modern options (such as ceramics or Invisalign) mean that braces are far less obtrusive these days.

Until you visit your ortho you're not going to have any idea of how long it might take or what kind of treatment you need.

hopeful_4_2day

#3 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

thanks i figured some one would say that i just needed to hear it i guess so hopefully ill get braces and they will come off before i graduate in 2008.

Thank you

br4cedguy

#4 Post by br4cedguy »

Holy crap i thought i was the only 15 year old here... nice to know someone else was curious :) I'll be graduating in 2008 too and i have braces and hope to have them off by then too. Now about your question... My ortho told me that it usually takes from 1 year to 3 years to correct teeth but it all depends on your case i guess... He told me 2 years for me but my teeth were messed up!(overbite and crowding). I have regular metal braces but any type that you choose will take time :( .

hopeful_4_2day

#5 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

HEY friend i didnt even know this was an adult site untill i started searching and please believe your teeth cant get worse then mine and go class of 08' but yea your ortho said 2 years then i guess that has to go for me too ..what am i saying i havent even seen an ortho yet so nevermind.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

We adults appreciate the :-** !

Anyway, you should go to the main ArchWired site and read the pages in the Braces Basics section, as well as looking in Popular Topics which compares various types of brackets.

The url is: http://www.ArchWired.com
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

noppi

#7 Post by noppi »

sure smile isn't really a kind of braces. it's a technology that helps orthodontists do 3-d modeling of the teeth. it scans the teeth and takes images and stuff and then creates a 3d model. supposedly this helps the ortho explain things better to patient and helps patient see how their teeth will look likeat different intervalls. it also supposedly decreases discomfort because of the way that the wires get bent, and also decrease the time a patient has to wear braces. My orthodontist will be using sure smile on my teeth. he said without it i may be in braces for 3 years, but iwth it i will just need 2 years. but really i dont think i'll need braces for even 2 years. we'll see. I don'tknow how good this technology is ssince no one I know who has had braces, used it. But my ortho charges me extra for it. BAHH!
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

hannah164

#8 Post by hannah164 »

That sure smile sure sounds interesting! Let us know how it goes Noppi!

Most people on average are in braces for about 1 to 2.5. My ortho said I would most likely have braces for about 3.5 to 4 years! :shock: He tells me all the time that I'm his most complicated case (impacted cuspids, missing teeth, deep bite, overbite, crowding,etc) :?

I would try to reseach the different kinds of braces and decide after to talking to an ortho about it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

hopeful_4_2day

#9 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

thank you guys...thats very much needed info.