Question About Wire Replacement

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bejay23

Question About Wire Replacement

#1 Post by bejay23 »

How often will I get my wire replaced? Right now, according to my ortho I have the most flexible and thinnest wire available. Could that be why I've had no pain since I had my braces put on? I have Damon 3s and I don't have my first adjustment until January 10th.

Thanks
Bejay23
Damon 3 upper and lower; Crowding

swan

#2 Post by swan »

I had that first thinnest and most flexible wire for about four months. I'm now on the third wire for my top teeth and the fourth for my bottom teeth.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have Damon 3's I had the thinnest wire to start. I got them on Aug. 11th. My first adjustment was Oct. 26th, I got a heavy duty wire than. It is rectangle 14x25. I just had occasional tooth sensitivity with the thin wire and the same with this bigger wire. Not much pain but alot of movement. My next adjustment is Jan. 4 I have no idea what the plans are for that adjustment.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

blaat

#4 Post by blaat »

The thin wires are used to help the teeth in one straight line. After that the ortho usually switch to rectangular wires for different purposes (rotating, detailing etc.) . It depends on your case really..
Uppers: Permanent retainer + hawley (night)
Lowers: Permanent retainer

Debanded since the 16th of Jan.

Shelby014

#5 Post by Shelby014 »

i had the thinnest wire for a little while, but my first adjustment i got the heaviest square wire that they had, most people call it a finishing wire, but i still have about 10 months to go, so i dont even know what they're trying to do to my mouth, but i have seen A LOT of movement. My teeth are quite a bit ahead of schedule, so i am really excited about that!!
Shelby
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

TuZZi

#6 Post by TuZZi »

I only had the thinnest wire for the first month. On my first adjustment I moved up to the 2nd thinnest and it stayed in after my 2nd adjustment as well. I get my next adjustment in a week and a half, so hopefully they move up another wire, or add a powerchain or 2. I want to see some results!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

Well I had the small little preety wire to start with too. After seven weeks I got very heavy one on the top. My top teeth had lined up so it is now the power of the big and mighty to close extraction gaps. I am getting the same on the bottom in 6 weeks since teeth there were a bit more messy but coming along nicely too.
As you see iit s different for everyone when it comes to wire change. Anyway I think everyone starts with the small to be less painfull at the start. My ortho humbled something like thin wire at the start so I don't go crazy from pain.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

**shinyhappybraceface**

#8 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

I'm going 10 weeks between appointments and they're using a really light wire on me, too. Last time I was in I said to the doctor, "hey - you promised me some discomfort here. you sure i'm getting what i paid for?"

He just laughed - I'm sure I'll regret it one of these days because I've only had braces since September 7th, but I really dont' mind them so far.
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB