More questions about clear brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

More questions about clear brackets

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi!

I have been reading a lot on this forum about the clear vs. metal braces issue, and I think that the best is, as many of you suggested, to go with the kind of brackets my ortho manage the best.
He recommended to me the metal brackets over the clear ones, and I don't mind, since I am fully determined to start the treatment.
However he told me twice that the main disadvantage of the clear brackets is that they slow down the treatment. He explained to me that this was due to the bracket's way to hold the wire which wasn't very good.
I read over here that are some types of clear brackets that work fine, but maybe my ortho don't like to use them; or they might be very expensive over here, I don't know.
Anyway, he told me that later in treatment I could change the metal brackets for the ceramic ones, but right now he wanted to use full strength over my teeth.
What do you think? I should ask him about the clear braces again? They look really good on the pictures I've been seen so far.
Which are the clear braces that work best?
Thanks a lot!!!!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I have Opals. They are self-ligating: NO LIGATURES!!

If you click on my link below, you can see pictures of my progress. My top (ceramic bracketed teeth) moved very quickly; basically in 11 weeks.

My lower (metal brackets) teeth have not moved as fast. I think it was more because of the wire than the brackets. Once they put in a rectangular wire, my bottom teeth straightened out in 24 hours! OUCH!

If you don't mind the metal, go with that! Your ortho knows best. My ortho recommended the Opals for adult patients (at an additional cost, of course...) and I am quite self contious :oops: so I sent with the ceramics.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

I'm not braced yet, but I do know my ortho uses the brackets KK mentioned...the ones with the metal sleeve (I'm in the US btw). It gives the look of a ceramic but works like metal.

drazda

#4 Post by drazda »

I asked for clear ones and my ortho convinced me to get the regular metal ones. He told me the clear ones were more expensive and don't work as quickly. Maybe I should have asked for the ceramic ones, but metal is already expensive enough as it is.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Jesslzz 01

#5 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Thanks! it is really helpful to have your points of view. I guess I will go on with the metal brackets. I have the option of changing them for the clear ones in the future...I will consider that just because I really like the way they look!
Drazda, looks like we were on the same situation. How do you feel about having the metal braces on? Any feelings of regret, or anything?
I know it will be a shock when I finally see how the braces look in my mouth, but I don't want to think then "oh my gosh, I should have asked for the clear brackets!!!!" :(