i got backplates and now i cant chew please help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

munkymann15

i got backplates and now i cant chew please help

#1 Post by munkymann15 »

i dont want to have to eat soup for 2 months and i cant chew cuz these backplates dont really allow my molars to come together

munkymann15

#2 Post by munkymann15 »

does anyone have any tips

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

I found when I first got my uppers on, and again when I got my lowers, I literally couldn't chew at all. I couldn't even squash a mandarin segment in my teeth it was so painful.

I am not sure exactly how backplates affect you. But my advice is - apart from obviously soft foods - to find stuff that is "mashable" with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, but still has a nice solidness too it.

For example:
- potato salad
- oven cooked potato wedges sprayed/drizzled in olive oil (so the sides are soft)
- bean salads
- avocado
- soft, flaky fish
- minced meat products (maybe some sausages, meatballs)
- ravioli, well cooked (avoid "al dente" style - you'll want it overdone)
- probably things like lasagne

Whatever you choose, you are going to find it slower and more tiring to eat - at least I did. So go for smaller portions, and supplement your meals with a side of mush (eg mashed potato) and/or drink nice thick smoothies with your meals. These can be anything from evil (full fat ice cream) to saintly (blended fruit and yoghurt).

I haven't needed to look yet, but I bet there are a lot of food and recipe sites catering to older people with dentures and teeth problems where you would find ideas.

munkymann15

#4 Post by munkymann15 »

for you people who dont know what backplates are, they are little plates they stick on the back of your front teeth so your bottoms can only go up so far so they dont get damaged

joleigh

#5 Post by joleigh »

Munkymann,

I just got my braces 2 days ago and I was fitted with one of those "backplates" (I think). It is like a plate that is shoved up behind your two front teeth and mine have two prongs that stick out toward my tongue so my tongue is always catching on it..ooowwww...I have not been able to bite down at all or chew either. I DON"T LIKE THIS THING at all....I really wish it was out.....

Anyway, my ortho said he put it there to correct my overbite, is that what your ortho said? He also said it would only be there for about 2-6 months...YAY!

They only thing I have been able to eat is ramen noodles and thinly sliced deli ham.

texasangel

#6 Post by texasangel »

munkeymann15,

I have BITEplates, which are behind my 2 top front teeth. I have had them since JANUARY 10th 2005. I was told I would only have them for a few months, but I had a 'deep bite' and it is taking longer than expected to correct.
I had to eat soft foods(no choice) because you can't chew good enough.
Soup, mac&cheese, mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc.
My biteplates are just globs of composite stuck behind my 2 front teeth.
Eventually with your treatment the molars will come together and be easier to chew. GOOD LUCK !!!
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

I don't have biteplates because when I bite down with my bottom braces only my front teeth touch! So even without them my molars still don't touch and its very hard to eat! I'm sticking to soup and soft things for now but it is getting a little better, slowly!

My ortho thought I would need turbos (which are like the same thing) for my deep bite but he didn't put any on! :? I'm hoping he'll begin to fix my bite or lack of one at my adjustment next week! :wink:

Good luck and I hope you can eat better soon!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05