Flossing is so hard with braces... :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will

Flossing is so hard with braces... :(

#1 Post by Will »

I want to buy a waterpick since it's so hard to floss with my braces...

Are waterpicks good for removing plaque? I tried flossing yesterday and my gums were bleeding, which isn't a good sign... :roll:

how do i floss with my braces?!? it wouuld take around 1 hour to do since i have expanders on both upper and bottom... :cry:

will a waterpick help remove plaque? :?:
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

Betty Bat

hang in there!

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

I had a lot of trouble flossing initially, but it did get better. Many others have also reported problems. I haven't tried a WaterPik so I can't comment on how well it works. I found that the BridgeAid floss threaders and Oral-B satin floss worked the best for me.

On a lighter note, I'm sure that I could floss much better if I was more ambidextrous (boy, is there a difference between what I can do with my right hand and my leftt hand), had better eyesight (I have to wear my reading glasses while I'm flossing), and if I could just grow a third hand!

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

Didn't your ortho give you a floss threader? That helps a lot. At first it does take a long time, but it does get better!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

calley03

#4 Post by calley03 »

I get my braces on in a couple weeks and I found out today from my sister in law (who got hers off last month, and I am using the same ortho) that our ortho gives out a water pik, and a sonic care, plus all of the other little stuff. And I can go get all the wax I need. If ortho's give it out it must work pretty good I would think, i'll find out.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Gable74

#5 Post by Gable74 »

butterfly

#6 Post by butterfly »

Give it 2 weeks and you WILL manage it in a tiny fraction of the time you need now! Flossing with braces is a specific skill you have to learn. It learning takes time.

The technique I found useful is the following: Bend the floss threader into a U shape und hook it under the archwire going from the gums side to the teeth side! This is even faster than superfloss.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

Could someone explain exactly how a waterpik works and why it is special/different?

I visited the waterpik site, but it didn't really seem to explain.