Molds Tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

calley03

Molds Tomorrow

#1 Post by calley03 »

Good Afternoon! I have the molds made for my braces tomorrow, I am nervous. I have read everyone's comments about this part and they said the worst part will be the taste. I am still nervous, Oh well it only gets better from here :D
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

cinnabunny91

molds

#2 Post by cinnabunny91 »

lol molds are nothing.. all they do is they make you bite into this clay stuff and when you have to pull your teeth out it kindof feels like your teeth are gonna come out but don't worry it will be fine.. i find the first few days of having braces the worst.. its been about 4-5 days since i got mine on and a few teeth are still alittle soar.. lol well goodluck :)
Damon 3 Braces
Got them on Nov 30th...

Megera_S

#3 Post by Megera_S »

Getting the molds done is nothing compared to what the first few days of having braces is going to be. Some orthos have flavoured mold making stuff so it's not so bad :P

The worst part I thought about the mold making thing was the trays... They didn't fit into my mouth properly (they had to try a few different sizes) and the assistant just jammed 'em in (not on purpose, I don't think she realised how forceful she was being) so that pinched and hurt a bit. :?
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

I have to tell you that the molds arent too bad at all. I swear they tasted like silly putty. ( not that I eat it often or anything, LOL)
My ortho warmed the putty to make them set faster for me , you may want to ask if they can do that. Overall the molds arent great, but they arent anything to worry about. They were in and out in a minute :wink:
Oh and mine were unflavored. My son had pina colada flavoring and said it was tasty.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

drazda

#5 Post by drazda »

I have a very sensitive gag reflex and having the molds taken was not fun at all. Most people handle it a lot better than I did.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Marzipan

#6 Post by Marzipan »

Molds were NO problem! The taste didn't bother me at all.

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

drazda wrote:I have a very sensitive gag reflex and having the molds taken was not fun at all. Most people handle it a lot better than I did.
I can see where this would be a problem for you then. I did have that feeling of wanting to gag a little but thankfully she pulled the mold out just in time.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

jenns91civic

#8 Post by jenns91civic »

I never tasted the stuff, but I gag like crazy, even after topical anesthetic. I'd rather have the first days in braces over and over again than ever have another mold done!

But I am a weird one. For most people its no big deal at all.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Lucifina

#9 Post by Lucifina »

Molds were not too bad at all! Mine tasted minty. The top set did make me want to gag though :yuck: Really the whole mold thing took like 4 mins.
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

butterfly

#10 Post by butterfly »

Molds do not hurt but they are uncomfortable. If you panic it might become a problem I guess so they are very careful with how you feel. You have to breath through your nose only because otherwise you will gag. The best way to go through it is to bend over with your head down and breath slowly and deeply. Make sure your nose is OK and you don't have a cold! Mine tasted like caramel and it wasn't such a bad experience. I LOVE my molds now because they are like 3D pictures of the past. Nice to compare your new teeth to the old ones in a mirror!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

swindler

#11 Post by swindler »

I had molds done a few weeks ago. the only bad part of it was that when I was finished I was told to walk over to the mirror and sink to rinse and when I saw myself in the mirror I saw that there was pink putty stuff all around my mouth and chin, which was embarrassing because I had smiled to another incoming patient on my way to the mirror not knowing that I looked like I had just puked all over my chin.....hahah so that was about the only bad thing.

I haven't started braces yet 'cause I had plans for these 2 upcoming weeks so I put off gettng the braces on, but I was told by the ortho assistant that getting the molds done was the hardest part of braces...is shse telling the truth or just tkaing me for a sucker?

also, I was told my treatment will be about 4-7 months....do u guys think this is unusual?