Brace horror stories - Please help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

the_bufster84

Brace horror stories - Please help

#1 Post by the_bufster84 »

:?: Hey everyone,
I am considering gettin ceramic braces after xmas and already booked my appointment to get my moulds done. However, i have heard some horror stories and was wondering if they are myths or if anyone has had experience of them.

1. Your teeth can decay underneath the bracket?
2. Your teeth become badly stained under the bracket and appear black when the braces come off?
3. The brackets wear grooves into your teeth?

Please help as these stories are putting me off gettin braces

thanx Kirsty

Nikkiekoala

#2 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I suppose all you mentioned could happen BUT you need to realize that 99% of the time everything goes fine. If you take care of your teeth during treatment you shouldn't have any problems. There are horror stories surrounding everything in life but you gotta live. Ignore the horror stories and listent to your ortho you will be fine.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

bbsadmin

Re: Brace horror stories - Please help

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

the_bufster84 wrote::?: Hey everyone,
I am considering gettin ceramic braces after xmas and already booked my appointment to get my moulds done. However, i have heard some horror stories and was wondering if they are myths or if anyone has had experience of them.
1. Your teeth can decay underneath the bracket?

If you don't practice good oral hygiene, you will get decay AROUND the bracket. You can't get decay underneath the bracket because it is glued to the teeth.

2. Your teeth become badly stained under the bracket and appear black when the braces come off?

Why would they turn black? This makes no sense.

3. The brackets wear grooves into your teeth?

The brackets are glued onto the surface of your teeth. Your teeth are very strong and hard. No grooves will be worn into them.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

amychelle

#4 Post by amychelle »

I've never heard of them being black when you remove them, if anything I would think that they protect them from decay.

I've heard of the teeth AROUND the bracket staining, but I'm thinking that if your teeth stain bad enough to be unfixable with a bleaching session, that you are beyond needing braces anyway.

Please dont let these things scare you.