Can't chew or bite - is this normal??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SmallTeethJon

Can't chew or bite - is this normal??

#1 Post by SmallTeethJon »

I just got braces yesterday. I'm 35 and have always had small teeth which have started to wear out due to an over bite.

So I had braces put on yesterday. The problem was my teeth are so small that the brackets hit each other when I bite down. I could tell this was rather unexpected, but the doctor's solution was to put some kind of substance on my back molars, which doesn't allow me to bite down all the way any more.

Even so, 2 of the brackets have already come off in less than 24 hours.

It really sucks not being able to bite or chew any more and having a 1/3 inch gap between my jaw all the time.

I'm not an orthodonist, but it would seem, even as small as my teeth are, that they should have put them lower down on my teeth so that the brackets aren't hitting each other and so I can chew somewhat normally.

As things stand now, I'll only be eating soup and ice cream for the next 2 years.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen to them or did my doctor mess up?

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

Brackets are positioned so that the ortho can get the desired effect once the teeth move, not because of whether or not you may bite them off. Having the build ups on the molars or behind the front teeth is very common for patients whose top teeth hit the top of their bottom brackets.

Annoying, but common.

You only got braced yesterday, so the pain is all fresh and new to you. In a few days, you'll be able to eat real food again, so don't worry about it.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

eoberhauser

#3 Post by eoberhauser »

I totally understand what you mean about having the space between your molars and not being able to chew. I went through that for a few days after being braces. I also have small teeth and my brackets are placed pretty darn close to the gums. My assumption was that it was the most efficient place to move the roots, not just the tooth. I can tell you that your bite will change and it will get better. My molars started touching again today (Day 7). My issue is that my teeth are moving and the brackets and hooks are now hitting a different part of my mouth and creating new chaffed areas! Ack! Aren't braces FUN!

SmallTeethJon

Thanks!

#4 Post by SmallTeethJon »

Whew! Thanks for the responses - I feel a lot better. Hey I'm from MN too!

eoberhauser

#5 Post by eoberhauser »

Isn't it great when you walk outside and it's -4 and that air hits your brackets! Whooo, what a rush. Can't wait til it's -30 :)

Erin

AustinWired

#6 Post by AustinWired »

It will get better. I had the same scenario with the small teeth and feeling like I was going to chomp my brackets right off if I wasn't careful. I also had the composite in my molars to help. My bite did return after only a week or so. I was eating chicken strips and potato skins at Bennigan's by the second or third day. You will get used to it before long, but it does feel very weird for several days. You just have to relearn how to chew. No one can prepare you for that sort of thing. You can't really understand or explain how it feels until you've been there, as I'm sure you're figuring out. :lol:
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

SmallTeethJon

So

#7 Post by SmallTeethJon »

So how long do you have your braces for? At least 2 years for me. :( At least I'll lose weight. :)

AustinWired

#8 Post by AustinWired »

Who, me? I just got mine off yesterday! :wink: One journey ends and another begins....
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

Chocoholic

#9 Post by Chocoholic »

I know it sounds silly, but when I had cement in my molars and couldn't chew properly, I used to eat things that were really big, you know so you could actually sort of at least chew something. Thin things were ridiculous, not worth the effort.

I was thinking though, one thing your ortho could have done was put your top braces on first and get the top teeth moved out of the way a little, that's what I had, although when I did get the bottoms on the top teeth still hit the bottom brackets, hence the cement.

But it does get better after a little while.

MrsDantel

#10 Post by MrsDantel »

I know what your going through and it will get better! I didnt have the cement on the back of my teeth but my top teeth would hit my bottom teeth brackets and my back teeth didnt meet once I got braces... Things are much better.. through time it got better.. No worries!
27 and Braced!!
Upper Ceramics - March 24, 2005
Lower Metals - May 10, 2005
One day, My teeth will be beautiful!

2XRound

Molar cement

#11 Post by 2XRound »

I have the same thing on my teeth and I haven't been able to chew since my braces were put on. :cry: I feel your pain. Good news is it helps you loose weight.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

spragers

#12 Post by spragers »

I feel your pain. I had build-ups on my back molars for what seemed like an eternity (I think it was close to half a year!) The day he said they were grinding them off was the second happiest braced day so far. It'll be tough, but looking back at the progress I've had since then, all I can say is stick with it, it will be well worth the trouble :)