TPA/Expander

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spogal22

TPA/Expander

#1 Post by spogal22 »

I've had my braces for about 2 weeks now and I'm really hating this TPA/expander thing. It's like I've had to learn to eat all over again. It's so embarassing to try to eat with it in front of people. The ortho said it was to help move the other molars. I assumed at the time that everyone had to cope with this thing but after reading others' comments, I guess not. So now I'm wondering how many of you have to deal with it as well and if you have had it how long was it in or if you think I should expect it the whole treatment time?

summergirl

#2 Post by summergirl »

don't feel bad I also have an expander .I HATE it with a passion,you can't talk with it eating is a job in its self.I use a pick sprayer to clean mine it seems to do a good job+ daily flossing and brushing a few times a day.How long each person has it depends on what you problems are just my guess.I told my ortho I want mine OFF asap.Its sooooo depressing having this thing in your mouth .I feel like I am mumbling all the time .I did't talk for 2 weeks when I first got mine and I am not kidding .I would not leave my house or talk.Just think you are not alone .When I first got mine I felt all alone no one else was talking about having one.Now I don't feel so bad as we are doing this together a few of use anyway.Just think every day it on we are closer to having a great smile.So lets smile today and think possitive. :D

Dreamer

#3 Post by Dreamer »

spogal22.... put me on your list too. I have the TPA as well and I live fore the day it comes out. Like Lucyloop mine will be in until my canines move back to fill the extraction gaps which will be a long time. When I get tired i noticed I slur worse... Hang in there, you're not alone!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Will

#4 Post by Will »

Does your expander look like this? I have an expander for the top too... :cry:

Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

hanna

#5 Post by hanna »

This is what I have and it is killing me. this is only my second day and it is rubbing my tongue raw. Argh! They said 30 months! It also is preventing me from talking properly somewhat. When I say certain words they sound sort of jumbled up. Like try saying "year" with one of these things. The upside...in 30 months I will have fabulous teeth...maybe a deformed tongue, but at least fabulous teeth. :D

venusasaboy

#6 Post by venusasaboy »

I have them on top and bottom and omg yes! They are way hard to get used to. Try eating chips though. That sounds so weird but chips are easy to eat with those. Noodles are very hard and gross though haha. Well i've had mine for six months now and i'm used to them. It took me a month to get used to it and I finally lost my lisp maybe last month or something. I think I might get them out tomorrow but probably not because they always trick me. You'll get through it though!
I'm going to have braces forever :[

raleighsmile

expander

#7 Post by raleighsmile »

Hanna-

I got my braces the same day you did. I don't have an expander or TPA in yet, but I will have both at some point.

I think it would have been better if they had went ahead and put mine in.

You see, they put metal bands on six of my teeth. On the inside of my teeth on each of these metal bands is a bracket, since nothing is attached yet....it feels like I have six prongs poking me in my tongue. I can't move my tongue without getting poked or scrapped by one of these.

When I asked about it, the orthodontist said that this is where they will be attaching extra appliances later, like the expander. When I asked when they will put them on or how long....I really didn't get an answer. Maybe they didn't want to scare me.

-Chris (raleighsmile)
12/14/05: Braces on - 6 metal bands, all metal brackets on bottom, ceramic on top.

bajanrose

#8 Post by bajanrose »

OK I'm not braced yet, but this is an appliance they gave me back in June/July.

It hasn't affected my speech or eating and it's to help the molars move to create more space so I can get my top braces in January hopefully.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

wating4braces

#9 Post by wating4braces »

Will wrote:Does your expander look like this? I have an expander for the top too... :cry:

looks EXACTLY like mine! I too have one on the top. Ok, my bottom expander just came out acidentally but still. I hated both of them with a passion! :evil: They're pure evil...

bajanrose

#10 Post by bajanrose »

wating4braces wrote:
Will wrote:Does your expander look like this? I have an expander for the top too... :cry:

looks EXACTLY like mine! I too have one on the top. Ok, my bottom expander just came out acidentally but still. I hated both of them with a passion! :evil: They're pure evil...

It sure looks evil

hanna

#11 Post by hanna »

bajanrose wrote:OK I'm not braced yet, but this is an appliance they gave me back in June/July.

It hasn't affected my speech or eating and it's to help the molars move to create more space so I can get my top braces in January hopefully.
this doesn't bother you at all? I have one of those as well and it is killing me.

bajanrose

#12 Post by bajanrose »

hanna wrote:
bajanrose wrote:OK I'm not braced yet, but this is an appliance they gave me back in June/July.

this doesn't bother you at all? I have one of those as well and it is killing me.
No, the assistant said it would hurt and to take pain killers but I havent had any pain at all, a very very slight ache when the teeth move but that is all, I still eat normally, speak normally, I forget its there most of the time or I just play with it if I'm bored. Oh I forgot one thing does bother me about it! Once I cut my tongue on the wire by the molars trying to get food out of it.