General cost of extractions..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebjones1

General cost of extractions..

#1 Post by ebjones1 »

Hey guys! Ok, so I'm getting five extractions done in January (4 premolars and 1 baby tooth). Because I already discussed this treatment with my oral surgeon when I got my wisdom teeth removed recently and had a letter sent to him by my ortho, a consultation is not being required. However, this means that I won't really know ahead of time how much it's going to cost me. I called the office and the assistant said that he won't know for sure until he actually looks at them on the day I come in..

That being said (sorry guys I have a tendency to be long winded), can anyone give me some roundabout prices of what they paid per extraction and what their circumstances were? I don't have any problems with mine, and only need them to create room before my braces are put on. My O.S. said that he'll use gas..?

I'd appreciate help y'all - I'm going to get this done regardless, but always handle situations better when I'm not caught off guard about something :roll:

spogal22

#2 Post by spogal22 »

I just had 4 extractions last week at an oral surgeon. Don't be nervous, i never felt a thing during or in the days after. Everything cost $810 but insurance covered everything. They were simple extractions. It probably depends a lot on where you live.

fyrelight

#3 Post by fyrelight »

If they aren't impacted, they will probably range from $60-$200 per tooth.... including the novacaine. If you have insurance, it will be much less.

Of course, if you get knocked out, its more for the anesthesia. You would also pay more for nitrous oxide gas. You can tell them you don't want that if you're comfortable without it-- its up to the patient. How much they charge for anesthesia or NO2, I don't know.... On my old insurance, it was like $100 for the first 30 minutes and $50 for each 15 minutes after that.

Medical offices here in the US actually HAVE to give you an EOB if you ask for one (explanation of benefits). They may not be able to tell you exactly how much it will cost, but can give you a RANGE, like so much for an uncomplicated case to so much for a very complicated case. I'd call and ask for a range and be very persistent... there's nothing I hate more than a bill I don't know how much I'm going to have to pay out.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Jodster

#4 Post by Jodster »

I had 4 extractions done by my general dentist, and all told it was about $550.
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

Gel

#5 Post by Gel »

I had all 4 of my second per-molars out and it was $67 a piece. But just at the regular dentist and my insurance covered 80% of that.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

ebjones1

#6 Post by ebjones1 »

Thanks for your responses everyone :D

This brings up another question - If the novacaine is meant for numbing the areas being worked on, then what the heck does the gas do? The last time anyone used gas on me was when I was a little kid and I was getting a couple of cavities filled.. so I don't really remember much of how it felt, just only that I couldn't really talk.

I know that going to an O.S. usually costs more, but unfortunately my dentist doesn't do extractions. Hopefully I won't get the butt-end of the payments, especially with that big ol' braces downpayment coming up! :shock:

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

The gas helps calm you... that's about it.

As far as getting an oral surgeon... you might call around and find another DDS who would do the extractions for you and give you a price range, too.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

ebjones1

#8 Post by ebjones1 »

They did give me a price range - anywhere from $105 to $350.
They just weren't able to give me an exact price. However, since he's an O.S., I know that these prices aren't just for simple extractions like mine - For example, I paid $350 for each completely impacted wisdom tooth I got out by him. So from what I can gather, it will be way on the cheaper end since it isn't surgery or anything. I thought about finding another DDS, but I just got my wisdom teeth out by this guy and I really like him and his staff. Things have been/are continuing to be crazy with all of this work done on my teeth so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Also, do y'all know if the prices usually include the shots? I know that when I got my wisdoms out there was a price for each tooth PLUS a whole other price for the anesthesia (I was completely out).

fyrelight

#9 Post by fyrelight »

Yeah, Novocaine is covered... being "out"--anesthesia-- costs more.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

felicity_and_reece_mommie

#10 Post by felicity_and_reece_mommie »

I work at a dentist office and we charge $85 for regular extractions and $15 for Xray and $125 and up for surgical extractions and $15 for Xray. It just depends on if it is decade bad or not. Yours probably isn't if you are just getting it extracted for the braces. But I'm sure it is different in different places. Some dentist won't do surgical extractions but we do. All Dr. does is sections in into 2 or 3 places and then thats the pieces out not really as difficult as you think. It just sounds horrible and we don't even have to put you to sleep we do it under local anesthestics. So ebjones1 don't be worried I'm sure it won't be nothing. Where do you live? Then dentist that I work for is in Corning, Arkansas, if you live anywhere near there? But you probably don't. \

Good Luck!!!

privatepilot

Cost of Extractions

#11 Post by privatepilot »

I had two bicuspids taken out with only novacaine. It was really no problem and cost a total of $400 that included the novacaine. Call around for prices and do it without the gas or IV sedation, unless your insurance pays for it. My mom just had 2 teeth pulled and they charged her (different doctor)$800-twice what I paid. Don't let some receptionist refuse to give you answer-call another doc!!Some Oral Surg put people out with IV sedation which is really not necessary unless it is very complicated. I did it without and it just kind of gives you the Heebie-Jeebies when you hear the tooth break.
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

**shinyhappybraceface**

#12 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

I had four impacted wisdom teeth out and the surgery was $1500 - I only had to pay $650 of it though. I had my oral surgeon submit a pretreatment estimate to my insurance company so I'd know exactly how much I'd be paying ahead of time. Maybe you can do that too?
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

ebjones1

#13 Post by ebjones1 »

I thought I'd update y'all. The people at the OS's office were finally able to give me a total:

$525.00 - before insurance (for all 5 teeth plus local)
$105.00 - with insurance
$165.00 - with NO2.. which I opted for.

So YAY! That's a lot less than I thought! Oh and even better news.. My insurance claim for my wisdom teeth went through and the OS's office accidently charged me for the consultation and $23.00 too much for the procedure.. so I actually have a $83.00 credit for my next extractions, meaning they'll really only cost about $81.00. WOO HOO!!! :banana: