Removal of Ceramic Braces painful?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

montesser

Removal of Ceramic Braces painful?

#1 Post by montesser »

Okay. I've only had my braces for a few days now, and I'm hearing some horror stories. A girl I work with had the same type of braces that I do, Ceramic, and she got hers removed a few weeks ago. Her description of the removal process was horific. She said that they couldn't remove them the same way they do the metal ones. That had to "shatter" each one individually. She said it was so painful that she was at the point of tears. I'm hoping that she just had a bad experience. Is there anyone else that has ceramic braces removed by this "shattering" method? I need to hear about any positive experiences.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I have never heard it is actually painful, I hope not I get them put on Dec 19. Hope we find out the answer. Thanks for asking.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

leah

removal

#3 Post by leah »

HI, I had my upper ceramics removed and replaced with metal. It really was not bad as long as you can handle the sound of the scraping off of the glue. That was the worst part for me. but no pain
best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

montesser

Re: removal

#4 Post by montesser »

leah wrote:HI, I had my upper ceramics removed and replaced with metal. It really was not bad as long as you can handle the sound of the scraping off of the glue. That was the worst part for me. but no pain
best wishes,
Leah
Thanks for the responses.

Leah - Why did you have your ceramics replaced with metal ones?
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

AustinWired

#5 Post by AustinWired »

I just got mine off on Monday, and it really wasn't that bad. Only a couple of brackets shattered. Apparently it is pretty common, though, and I was lucky. It didn't really hurt except for one stubborn one that didn't want to come off and the drilling to get the bonding material off. The whole process took about a little over an hour. Definitely not as bad as getting them put on!
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

leah

replaced

#6 Post by leah »

Montesser, I had my ceramics replaced because I had to have alot of flaring to get my top teeth straight, and in the process of pushing them back my Ortho said the force that he would have to use to get them back in place ceramic would not be strong enough and would pop off. So I switched to metal which I like so much better now.

Hope this helps answer you question,
best wishes,
Leah
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05

Granola

#7 Post by Granola »

So I switched to metal which I like so much better now.
Leah, I am still trying to decide whether to go with ceramic or metals in a couple of weeks. If you could, since you've had both types, could you say why you like metal better? TIA.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

I had my ceramic braces for 3 years (uppers only). When it was time for removal, some of them shattered and some of them didn't.

It wasn't painful...there was a lot of pressure for a specific few teeth but it wasn't horrible.

For the ones that shattered, the ortho had to use a drill/polisher thing to remove the excess bracket and glue. It took a while. But it wasn't too bad.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

leah

why i like metal

#9 Post by leah »

Remember this is only my opinion...... I like my metal braces better than my ceramics that i did have because - thay are smaller and more comfortable. no staining. they are easier for me to clean. it's just personal preference. Please don't make a choice by what I say.

Leah
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05

Granola

#10 Post by Granola »

Leah: Remember this is only my opinion...... I like my metal braces better than my ceramics that i did have because - thay are smaller and more comfortable. no staining. they are easier for me to clean. it's just personal preference. Please don't make a choice by what I say.

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it. Believe me, I wouldn't make my decision based on one person's experience (that would not be like me at all). It just helps to hear people's personal experiences.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

gunter8888

#11 Post by gunter8888 »

My ortho strongly advises against the clear/ceramic brackets because they do break easily and he has had many problems with them shattering and even taking part of the tooth with them when they are removed.

Don't want to scare anyone, but it seemed pertinent since I just asked him about going with the ceramics earlier this week. I am going with metal. I figure I have wanted straight teeth/braces for so long why hide it?
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

cocamo910

#12 Post by cocamo910 »

I've only heard negative things about those ceramics.

I got my bottoms off yesterday, full metal and lemme just tell you i was crying. it was the most painful part of the whole braces process.
At least they warned me. It was awful. So ceramic or metal, you're gunna be in pain.
Sorry to be a downer lol
Full Metal Jacket // 15-18 Month Sentence
Tops: Nov. 1, 2004 - ??? // Bottoms: Dec. 10, 2004 - Dec. 9, 2005
Retainer Appointment: Dec. 14, 2005
Next Adjustment: Dec. 14, 2005

nvcarissa

#13 Post by nvcarissa »

Remember this is only my opinion...... I like my metal braces better than my ceramics that i did have because - thay are smaller and more comfortable. no staining. they are easier for me to clean. it's just personal preference. Please don't make a choice by what I say.
Ditto what leah said. I never got used to my ceramics...too big, too much hassle with staining, changed them out three months in. Best decision I have made regarding my treatment (other than deciding to do it in the first place).

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

montesser

#14 Post by montesser »

I've only had my ceremics for less than two weeks now, and I think I'm finally gettting used to them. Luckily, I haven't noticed any staining. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but now that it's starting to get cold, I'm craving hot chocolate. I think I'll keep the ceramics for now even knowing the process that I'll have to go through to get them off. If I wanted to change them, they would have to get them off now anyway. I may as well wait and have that pain later. Thanks everyone for their postings.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

fyrelight

#15 Post by fyrelight »

Don't worry about it. I had ceramics the first time around and then metal for the brief second round... getting them off was about the same, and really no big deal. Both times, I had a little tenderness in a few teeth, and so they went gently on those teeth. I did have one ceramic shatter, but they just scraped it off, so it was okay. Its not a big enough thing to worry about....just enjoy getting your teeth straight and the end will come soon enough.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,