disapointing adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mamatiger

disapointing adjustment

#1 Post by Mamatiger »

So yesterday I had my adjusment. Went in the assitent took off my ligs and said we had to wait for the doc. He comes in says how great everything is moving. He says to change my top wire from a 17 or something to a 18. And to put something else on my bottoms, I think it was to change the material, like copper to steel or something like that and to keep the powerchains on them. Then he happens to push on my one sore tooth. He notices me flinch and says your teeth still hurt? I say its just that one. And then all of a sudden no new wires and no powerchains. He puts one wire tie on my sore tooth and then just ligs on everything else. Disapointing because I have extratraction gaps and want them closed. The bottom are closing but the tops are just as big and are obvious when I smile. My top teeth are also pretty much perfect, just had to get the teeth out to keep things even. And my adjustments are 6 weeks so just becaues of one sore tooth I feel like I have been left behind in my treatment. So this is pretty much just a rant I guess. but anyone else have anything like this happen? I felt so much better when I have heard that others have 6 weeks in between and haven't gotten wires changed out and so forth. So I wouldn't mind hearing others who have had this happen to them. Thanks

Lyn

#2 Post by Lyn »

Hey
Yes!!! My last adjustment was very disappointing. I did not get a new wire on top either. Mine is white and it tends to chip and at this point looks horrible. He didn't bother to change it. I was ticked cause of Christmas, I wanted to look good. Now I have this chipped wire and I stained my clear ligs (mustard!! :evil: ).
No you're not alone...............but hang in there!!!! :D

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

TuZZi

#3 Post by TuZZi »

Today's adjustment was pretty boring. New ligs for me, weeeeeeee! All they did was give me new ligs and trim my wires when I asked.

Last month all they did was pull my lower springs closer to my front teeth, and trim the wires as well. So I'm still on my 2nd wire, and my springs are still on the same teeth as last month.

edit: I've decided I don't like my lig colours already. I was persuaded into trying a 2 colour combo for the first time.... burgandy and jelly green for the holidays. At first I didn't mind it, but because some of my brackets aren't wired (teeth are too crooked to all fit,) I'm stuck with 4 bare silver spots in the front, and I don't like the 2 tone look. The bare spots didn't bug me with my metallic green or metallic blue, but I guess because these colours are lighter I just notice it more? I dunno.... not impressed anyway. :?

Oh ya, and my camera is STILL broken! I've missed an entire month of photo opportunities already!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I think I had the same wire for a while so things could line up. Once I got the heavier wire things moved fast. I go about every 6 weeks also, which is fine with me since I stress out about my visits now (they haven't been that easy).
Tuzzi- When you get your wires clipped are you talking about your wire ties?
fins

Jodster

Weirdest Adjustment yet

#5 Post by Jodster »

OK, since we are talking about disappointing adjustments, tell me this.

I thought I was ready for an upgraded, stronger wire on top since my gaps are filling slowly (too slowly in my opinion). So they change the ligs, and put a new powerchain between banded molar and premolar to help fill extraction gaps.

Then he gets 6 wires and proceeds to make me look like I am an antenna from the 1970's TVs for about 15 minutes while he puts on wire ties and THEN ligs on top of the wire ties for the bottoms.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

invisagirl

#6 Post by invisagirl »

Hi Jodster,

I have wireties on my upper front four teeth with ligs. I figured they put ligs on those teeth so it didn't look really weird. Apparently though the wireties are here to stay cause they put them on the first month and I still have them.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

fins

#7 Post by fins »

are you sure they are ligs on top of wire ties? They have these "caps" they can use on ceramics sometimes, could that be it? I can't imagine how much discomfort you must be in with both :shock:
fins

venusasaboy

#8 Post by venusasaboy »

Yes last time they didn't change my top wire either. And i bet this time if I can not say anything about my bottom teeth being loose they will change the bottom to a thicker one too! but i was supposed to get my expanders out tomorrow and i bet they will say no. i am so sad about that. i really am :[
I'm going to have braces forever :[

TuZZi

#9 Post by TuZZi »

fins wrote:Tuzzi- When you get your wires clipped are you talking about your wire ties?
Nope, I'm talking about the archwire. They have to trim the ends usually twice a month because my teeth aren't sticking out as far as they used to. I was only adjusted a week ago, and my upper right needs a trim already.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

invisagirl

#10 Post by invisagirl »

Nope there definetly ligs. Painwise it hasn't been bad. I suffer more form mouth irratation than teeth pain. Guess you get either one or the other. :?

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

fins

#11 Post by fins »

I'm gonna complain now so get ready for a vent.... my teeth are killing me since I found out a ligature was missing and had to have it replaced (which means that my teeth must have moved A LOT in a bad way. Now I think the lig was gone for 4-5 weeks before I noticed something was wrong with the archwire and I feel like I just wasted all that time. I think the assistant forgot to put it on! AGH!
fins

Shelby014

#12 Post by Shelby014 »

since we're complaining, i thought i would too.
First off, this huge square wire they put on at my first adjustment is making HUMONGOUS gaps in my bottom teeth, 3 of them to be exact, the first 2 are by my canines and incisor teeth on the botom, they are very big and unattractive when i smile. Second off, they put my appointment 8 week apart, so i need my wire clipped BADLY, but my grandma doesnt want me to go in because she always feels like we are butting in when we call in between. My appointment is Jan 11, but i dont think that i can wait that long, cuz ALL of my wires in the back need clipped, so they are starting to dig holes in my cheeks. I hate having my appointments 8 weeks apart, and i hope that they make them closer together next adjustment.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

ssfw

#13 Post by ssfw »

Hi Shelby014,

I feel you or your Grandma should call your orthodontist's office to see if they have an opening after the New Year's holiday. If they do and if it is a time convenient for you and your Grandma (if she's driving you), great, you can get the wires clipped and your adjustment at the same time. 11 days is a long time to wait when wire is poking in your cheeks, in the meantime, would placing wax on it help?

Calling for an appointment to fix something that is irritating you sometimes happens when you're having ortho treatment - I'm sure your orthodontist's office gets calls like this often and I'm sure their goal is to help you by making an appt. for you to be seen by the orthodontist/assistant as soon as possible.

Happy New Year!

ssfw
Shelby014 wrote:since we're complaining, i thought i would too.
First off, this huge square wire they put on at my first adjustment is making HUMONGOUS gaps in my bottom teeth, 3 of them to be exact, the first 2 are by my canines and incisor teeth on the botom, they are very big and unattractive when i smile. Second off, they put my appointment 8 week apart, so i need my wire clipped BADLY, but my grandma doesnt want me to go in because she always feels like we are butting in when we call in between. My appointment is Jan 11, but i dont think that i can wait that long, cuz ALL of my wires in the back need clipped, so they are starting to dig holes in my cheeks. I hate having my appointments 8 weeks apart, and i hope that they make them closer together next adjustment.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent!!!
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Way Too Old For This

#14 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Shelby, By all means you should call your orthodontist whenever you have a problem or a question. And CERTAINLY if you have a wire poking you. Sometimes I go back twice in the same day !

I had my first adjustment at 3 months. I go to the ortho every 2 weeks to get an impacted canine re-tied but the first time they changed wires was after 3 months. And I have wire ties and ligs on every single bracket. They said they were putting the ligs on over the wire ties so they would be more comfortable on my lips. After the adjustment, my teeth were so sore I couldn't hardly brush them, but after about a day and a half, they were fine.

I guess what I was trying to get at was that my teeth keep moving even without adjustments. The bottom ones are almost completely straight now.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Shelby014

#15 Post by Shelby014 »

yeah, i have dental sil (actually Macks pillow soft earplugs) on all the back wires that's poking out. I mean i can deal with it no big deal, but i mean it would be nice to be able to go in early, but my ortho's office is REALLY busy, i mean every kid in my school that i know of does to my Ortho, so opening are pretty much not gonna happen, the wax has really helped, i just wanted to vent in my little post, but thanks for caring!!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]