not enough space for spacers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nimo

not enough space for spacers?

#1 Post by nimo »

My dentists have always commented on how tight the spaces between my teeth are. As in, the spaces are so tight that I can't floss between my molars. I'm sure the orthodontist has all manner of torturous devices to jam those spacers down between my teeth (I think I'm dreading that part most of all), but has anyone else had the same problem?

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

Yep, I was in the same boat, but they got my spacers in after a few tries at each spot. My mouth was so crowded that all my front teeth crunched together, and there was no space to floss between any of my teeth, even with the thinnest floss available. But alas, now I have tons of space, and I even have gaps between some of my teeth now. Flossing is sooooo much easier now!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

gracie381

#3 Post by gracie381 »

I too had the same problem. They couldn't get the regular spacers in between my teeth, so they used metal ones. It wasn't that bad getting them put in, but afterwards it really gave me some trouble. I couldn't bite all the way down the whole time they were in. I had so much trouble that they decided not to use spacers on my bottom teeth. After the spacers came out of my top ones, they put molar bands. That felt like a huge relief. It actually was more annoying than painful. If by some chance you do get the metal ones, be patient as they only stay in for a short time. Since I got my braces everything has been much better, so hang in there it will be over before you know it, and it will all be a distant memory :D
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

lesdents

Spacers are hell!

#4 Post by lesdents »

My ortho had to try about 10 times to get each spacer in - very bloody. Plus there was no room so it pushed really hard on my front teeth making my entire head ache.

Orthodontics in so medieval and barbaric!!! But it's worth it!

mackenzie

#5 Post by mackenzie »

Mine were pretty tight and the room they took up made my front teeth get really messed up. Before I had the spacers people asked why I was going to get braces, now no one asks.

Jesslzz 01

#6 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi!
Yes, the whole process of getting the spacers on was very bloody and awful for me too! :(
The space between my molars is very tight too. I could never floss properly. I had the wire spacers, the same as Gracie. Fortunately, after 2 days I was surprised because the pain was slowing down...some of my molars ached more than others but on day 4 I was able to chew again! The inside of my mouth has healed so I don't need the wax anymore.
I think of all this as a good training for the brackets!
The good news for me is that these annoying things will be removed today and will have the molar bands put on...

I know it is hard when you just had the spacers on but the time will pass and the pain too! Good luck! :D

Marzipan

#7 Post by Marzipan »

My back teeth are definitely tight on space. In the past I could floss but it wasn't easy, and I had to gently work the floss in by sawing back and forth. The hygienist would snap the floss down there and ouch!

So the spacers had to be inserted using the dental floss technique. The tech commented that it was very tight, but she got them in without too much trouble. The pain was mostly that, for a moment, it felt like she was going to pull the tooth right out. Afterwards it wasn't painful. In a day or so, the teeth ached so I took ibuprofen, which controlled the pain very nicely. Mostly what happened is the teeth starting moving (loosening), so chewing was painful for several days.

The good news is, in retrospect I survived - and I am <i>quite</i> the wimp - and the molar bands are actually much better. So hang in there! Just because you have tight space doesn't mean it will be awful having the spacers put in. Oh, and now I can still get floss between the molar band and the nearby tooth.