Why do molars with bands turn a grey color?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

S_Ranger

Why do molars with bands turn a grey color?

#1 Post by S_Ranger »

I've noticed when I was browsing through some pictures that patients with molar bands have gotten their teeth a weird color. What's the cause of this? I'm noticing the same effect on my upper molars. :?:

mackenzie

#2 Post by mackenzie »

I think it's because teeth are sort of transluscent, semi-see through, so you see some of the metal color showing through them.

amychelle

#3 Post by amychelle »

It is because the outter layer of your teeth is not actually white, only the pulp inside makes your teeth appear the opaque color. The outter layers of you teeth are more transparent and pick up the color of the molor bands - teeth without molar bands pick up the white of the pulp of your teeth. Teeth with silver fillings also appear a greyish color due to the same fact.

I asked my dentist about this because it seemed to me that my teeth were extremley thin compared to other peoples, that I could see color through them such as the pink of my tounge or red of candy, etc. He told essentially what I just told you.

If you'll notice people with bonding, veneres, or dentures appear to have extremely white teeth, it's because it is white and not just transmitting color like normal teeth.

And of course, when I use the term white, you understand that I mean the eggshell white of average people teeth, not the "I've bleached my teeth so many times that my agent is having trouble getting me a movie deal" white. (that is just annoying to me.)

jaws

#4 Post by jaws »

This is good to know! As you can see from the pic below, my banded molars look pretty grey, and I was worried about it!

Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006