Power Chains??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crowded Mouth

Power Chains??

#1 Post by Crowded Mouth »

Hi, I had my braces put on 3 weeks ago, I have crowding at the front on the top and bottom teeth.

I have ceramics and clear ligs.

I was wondering, when do the power chains go on and do all cases end up wearing the power chains? :?

fins

#2 Post by fins »

I think it depends on your treatment plan if you need powerchains or not. Not all cases need them.
fins

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

AS I understand it, powerchains are used to close gaps. It will all depend on what happens over the course of your treatment. You may want to ask your ortho.

I remember asking mine if I would have to use elastics and his answer was "Everyone gets elastics." So, I know that somewhere down the road...

I haven't asked about powerchains though.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

amychelle

#4 Post by amychelle »

Nope, everyone does not get elastics. I won't have them.

Maybe it's because I'm special. :D

Maybe it's because I won't ever have braces on bottom either, though. :mrgreen:

I may have a powerchain though, but I doubt it. I may have a bit of gap to close when they open the space too far to allow my tooth to move forward.

I hope your orhto will consider your case instead of running with the norms. :heart: I consider you special. :wink:

calley03

#5 Post by calley03 »

I have my braces put on next week and will have ice ceramic tops, and I have a gap between my front teeth they will close. They are going to use wire ties so that they don't use ligs that stain. Anyway are the powerchains used in place of ligs or in addition to?? Thanks, Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

I had powerchains a couple times, but no gaps. I think they were to try to get my teeth to move together as a unit but I'm not sure. If you don't have braces on the bottom, your bite probably isn't being corrected and that is what elastics are most often used for. If you have any kind of bite issue to be fixed, elastics are probably in your future.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

hannah164

#7 Post by hannah164 »

I got a powerchain across my two front teeth to close a huge gap on the first day I got braces! :shock: I also have two large powerchains across some lower extraction gaps! I think its normally used to close gaps but can be used at the end to finalize results. Not everyone needs them.

Elastics are mostly used to to fix the bite. Most people get elastics at some point during their treatment. I know according to my ortho, elastics can fix almost anything and with my wacky bite I know they're coming its just a matter of when. :?

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05