Extractions are SCARY!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

Extractions are SCARY!!!

#1 Post by lesdents »

Okay, so I'm in my 3rd day after having 2 teeth - my 1st premolars, or the ones behind the eye teeth - extracted. It went smoothly, except it didn't stop bleeding for 6 hours and I'm still terribly afraid of getting dry socket. I'm being very cautious not to create any suction in my mouth or to disrupt the wounds, but wow! It's so much scarier than I thought! I didn't imagine having such deep, dark holes in my gums like I do!

Does anyone have some reassuring words for me in this scary time? How long until they get healed into looking like regular gums? When should I start swishing with salt water or brushing my teeth normally?

Thanks!

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I had a lot of problems with a tooth a couple years ago and ended up having it pulled, and my mouth is normal now. They are going to try and close the hole in the back with my braces, and there is no pain associated with where the tooth was extracted now. When I think back I remember how much pain I was in too, but it does get much better with time. I get braced in one week so I am dreading that pain as we speak!! Hope my "few" encouraging words help :) Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Gel

#3 Post by Gel »

Hey, I had my extractions a mont ago and there are still holes where the teeth were. But the teeth will get pulled into where they are, so all will be well. Just be patient it takes time.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

TuZZi

#4 Post by TuZZi »

I had 4 bicuspids extracted just over 2 months ago, and I think they are finally healed enough that they don't bleed anymore. I was also really careful the first few weeks and didn't eat anything remotely chewy, or use a straw at all because I was so worried about screwing something up.

The last few times the sites bled, it was always from underneath the molar band of the tooth right beside it... so it wasn't like the actual extraction site was bleeding, but close enough.

As long as you be careful, and have good oral hygeine, you shouldn't develop dry socket at all. I know it's annoying having those spaces there, but trust me, your mouth won't be nearly as sore once your teeth start moving to close the gaps... they definately made my mouth feel better by creating the space.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

dena

thanks

#5 Post by dena »

this conversation has reminded me about something that I will want to keep in mind when i have my extractions.

i had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago. i tend to be very sensitive to antibiotics and developed a skin rash within a few days. My oral surgeon just told me to stop taking the antibiotic.

I then entered into 3 weeks of some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. Because I stopped the antibiotic, i developed an infection. I was sleeping 18 hours a day because i couldnt stand the pain, not eating and just taking tons of ibuprofen. I had to go back to the oral surgeon weekly and after a month, i was finally eating and functioning again.

i dont know if antibiotics are involved in this sort of extraction, but fyi.

*also*

does anyone have any estimates about the time frame of movement after extractions? my ortho said he didn't think I'd see much movement until i had my extractions, so hopefully i will do those right away. but, once they are out, how long before the gaps are really closing?

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

lesdents

thanks you guys

#6 Post by lesdents »

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm just worried because of all the stuff I read on the internet about dry socket... especially because I'm female and on the b/c pill places me in the high-risk group. After over 48 hours I've rinsed with salt water, etc., and I keep fearing that I'll dislodge the blood clot, which is what causes dry socket. Also, I've got a terrible headache which doesn't make things much better!

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow for them to check how the extraction sites are healing, and I'm sure that will reassure me!

I'm getting the rest of my braces on on Wednesday, and then I can watch those fangs come down into line with the rest of my teeth! At long last!

dena

#7 Post by dena »

it's my understanding that the pain would be so bad that you'd know it. if you are having your first check up, i bet you're going to be totally great. let us know!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

lesdents

Update

#8 Post by lesdents »

Hey guys!

Well, I had my check-up and the doc says they look OK. Still a little sore though, which bothered me during my very difficult final exam today.

Has anyone else noticed that it's really hard to find soft foods when out and on the go?

Anyway, long story short, it's all good. Plus I get to show people the holes and hear them go, "eew!"

I get the rest of my braces tomorrow! (They're only on the front for now!)