Gum Tissue movement

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

calley03

Gum Tissue movement

#1 Post by calley03 »

I was told eventually maybe 1 year after my braces go on, I may have to have surgery on my gums between my two front teeth to trim this gum tissue up. My orthodontist said its a very minor thing and we would see how things go as far as whether it would be necessary or not. Has anyone out there had a procedure similar to this done. If so was it painful, and what was your cost. I am hoping in the end the skin looks fine without the surgery. Thanks, Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

brandee987

#2 Post by brandee987 »

I had the gum trimming surgery before I was braced. I will most likely have to get the gum tissue refined and trimmed at the end of my ortho treatment. I had ALOT of gum tissue that needed to be removed and I don't think some of my teeth would have had room for brackets had I not had the procedure done prior to braces. (i still have one tooth that I can't get bracketed yet because its soooo short) I would not say the procedure itself was painful. My cd numbed me up very well. There was some swelling after, but I had the procedure done on 10 of my top teeth. By the 3rd day I felt pretty good. It was well worth it.. As far as cost I think it is based on how many teeth that the gums will be trimmed on. I read somewhere that the price ranges from $50 to $150 per tooth. I had to pay more than that because there really wasnt any dentist around who performed the procedure and had alot of experience. My best advice is that you ask to see before and after pictures of past clients the dentist performed the procedure on. Also be VERY clear how much you want trimmed or not trimmed because once its gone its not growing back (if its done properly).. When i first had mine trimmed I felt like Mr ed! My teeth looked huge! But once it healed I loved it! If you have any other questions lemme know! Good Luck!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

calley03

#3 Post by calley03 »

Brandee: Thank you so much for the information, that was the only doubt still in my mind. I will just have the skin trimmed between the two front teeth, and the price really surprised me. I have been told my my general dentist a few times before braces I needed to have it done and I guess to justify it I would always say I am not even going to see another dentist because its too expensive. I realize at this point that the surgery will truly finish my braces and make them look complete. I am relieved to hear pain is minimul too :D Thanks so much its good to get info and know what to expect, I don't like the unexpected :wink:
Impressions on 12/5/05

brandee987

#4 Post by brandee987 »

Oh wait I think you are talking about a frenectomy (sp?) where they trim that part between the teeth so the gap can fully close... I would think it would feel similar to the procedure I had however. I know someone who had this done and he said it wasnt too bad.. Good luck!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

Lucifina

#5 Post by Lucifina »

My ortho told me I would need to have this done too! He said if I did not have this done now matter what he did to my front teeth they would never stay together unless I have it done. He told me it was no big deal. He did not mention when I will need to have it done though...I am assuming they numb the area? :shock:
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

swan

#6 Post by swan »

I had this done as a child by my general dentist. It wasn't even called a surgery, I think. It wasn't a big deal. I wonder why so many people here haven't had it done as a child, because, if it is done then, the gap often will just naturally close.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

calley03

#7 Post by calley03 »

Thanks for all the information, the whole thought of this portion of my treatment so scares me!!! I will get usto the idea, I think I am nervous about getting my braces next Monday...
Impressions on 12/5/05

SweetSheena

#8 Post by SweetSheena »

My ortho told me that I should look into getting my "gums clipped" because my teeth seemed small, but i didnt notice the size until i had the braces put on, he said that it wasn't a big deal to get it done but it would improve my smile. But other that that the only thing i have left to do is get my wisdom teeth taken out.
*~*I was here to leave my mark!*~* :)

06/2007 - Braces off
[/url]

Shelby014

#9 Post by Shelby014 »

swan wrote:I had this done as a child by my general dentist. It wasn't even called a surgery, I think. It wasn't a big deal. I wonder why so many people here haven't had it done as a child, because, if it is done then, the gap often will just naturally close.
Wish i would have had this done, i had a 2 mm gap in between my two front teeth, it was horrid looking, but now since i got my braces that is all closed up. I'm sooo happy!
Shelby
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]