spacers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

spacers

#1 Post by dena »

Hi all:

I'm getting my spacers next Tuesday. I am only going to be in town for a few days before i leave to spend time with my fam for awhile...10 days or so.

So, two questions. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow or something. What should I buy that I can eat with the spacers? Do they hurt for everyone? is it a definite that I wont really be able to eat?

Also, I'll have the spacers in about 15 days then, but I'll be out of state...what can I do to "help" the spacers stay in place...dont want them popping out!

thanks!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

jenns91civic

#2 Post by jenns91civic »

Search is a great tool.......

I ate pizza the day I got my spacers and I don't remember there being much pain, but everyone is different. It depends a lot on how crowded your teeth are back there. Get some soft foods but you might have no problem eating. Don't eat anything sticky but if a spacer falls out it's usually not too much of a problem because it means there was enough room. Your ortho will tell you what to do if it falls out early vs when its almost time for the braces.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Many people say they are uncomfortable, and I have to say that I didnt have"pain" but they were uncomfortable and a tad unpleasant. It feels like food is stuck between your teeth.
I would make sure you have softer foods, skip crunchy things ( and sticky as jenns91civic mentioned) and make sure to pack the advil. :D
I didnt have any trouble with mine popping out, but I would ask the ortho and see what they recommend.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

2XRound

Spacers

#4 Post by 2XRound »

I had 8 of the little barbell shaped spacers and at first they were just annoying little things stuck in my teeth. They had a very hard time putting them in because my teeth were very tight. As I left the office, still on a high at the thought of starting the path to my great new smile, the nurse remarked that because my teeth were so tight I might experience some discomfort. Boy what an understatement. The pain started that night and seemed to get worse for the next several days after which it levelled out into a steady unrelenting ache. By the next morning my ability to chew was pretty well gone. The next two weeks were miserable for me and I began my liquid diet. Eat a steak the night before and hope for the best, but be prepared to go off hard food. Take all the pain killer they will give you. When they take them out it feels great for an hour or so untiil they begin banding your molars.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

lesdents

#5 Post by lesdents »

I also had very crowded teeth. The first day I got the spacers I thought, "Gee, this isn't so bad!" But the following days were hellish. I couldn't chew at all for several days. I at beans with cheese melted into them, rice pudding, split pea soup, scrambled eggs, etc. Now, after extractions, I can also only eat liquidy foods that can be dropped in the back of my mouth to avoid getting food in the holes.

If you ask me, limiting what foods I can eat is the worst part of braces.

bracketboy00

#6 Post by bracketboy00 »

Hi

I had spacers to and they didn't hurt much, but a good thing to eat is soup.To avoid them falling out just don't eat sticky food. :)