Swollen gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brooke

Swollen gums

#1 Post by Brooke »

I noticed last night that near my wisdom tooth and the bands on the teeth directly in front of the wisdom tooth, there is some minor swelling... although, near the other bands I also have a little swelling... is this something I should see the dentist for... or maybe brush a little better in the back?? I did call my regular dentist and she is supposed to call me back, but I haven't heard from her yet and Im kinda worried. Anyone know maybe what it could be? I did have my wisdom teeth evaluated before braces, and was told I could wait till the braces were off till I get them removed.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

I think the gums just swell up sometimes for no apparent reason - I have noticed some swelling today that also came up a couple of weeks ago. I think it's just because there is a lot of stress on the tissue and it just swells up in response to this sometimes. I wouldn't have thought it's anything to worry about as when it's happened to me these several times it goes down again within a few days. If it is really sore or worrying you though, do contact your ortho for advice.

xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Gel

#3 Post by Gel »

My ortho told me that when your gums swell it is because of movement. He told me that is why not to take ibuprofen anymore is because it is an anti-inflamatory and actually has a negative impact for the movement, because when a little inflamation occurs, it makes the gums a little softer and easier for the teeth to move.
But like Loobylou says, if it hurts really bad, go see the professionals.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Brooke

#4 Post by Brooke »

It actually doesn't hurt at all. I am just concerned cause its right near the wisdom tooth... but yes i have heard that too "Gel". Thanks.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!