Preventing Ulcers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TinnGrinn

Preventing Ulcers

#1 Post by TinnGrinn »

Ulcers have been a real problem for me lately and they never have been before so I am guessing this is a braces thing. I did some online research and thought I would share just in case anyone else has the same problem.
Here is what I found:
In some cases, switching toothpastes can prevent mouth ulcers from occurring, with some being able to reduce the occurrence of ulcers by approximately 80%. Sodium dodecyl sulfate (sometimes called sodium lauryl sulfate or simply SLS), a detergent found in most toothpastes, is thought to increase the incidence of mouth ulcers. Using toothpaste free of this compound has been found to help many people by reducing the amount and size of ulcers and in some cases, completely stopping them. A few individuals have noticed that switching to a toothpaste with Baking Soda prevented reoccurance of mouth ulcers.
Many people have found that taking Lysine-L supplements can help to reduce the frequency of mouth ulcer appearances. Additionally, zinc deficiency has been observed in people with recurrent mouth ulcers, and zinc supplementation decreased recurrence of the mouth ulcers.
Use of a hydrogen peroxide antiseptic mouthwash can help to clean debris and bacteria that can accumulate in an ulcer, thus reducing complications associated with its presence. This treatment is widely available at pharmacies from companies such as Colgate, whose product is called Peroxyl.

I am going to the drugstore TODAY.

Jodster

#2 Post by Jodster »

I can totally attest to the use of L-Lysine as a supplement while you are in braces. It has really helped me and I have noticed a considerable drop in the number of ulcers I have now as opposed to in the first month or so.

Also, the Peroxyl really helps, but you can rinse with straight peroxide and get the same benefit (and it's much cheaper). I usually would mix 2/3 peroxide with 1/3 water, but straight isn't harmful, either.

Just my two cents!!
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!