Ceramics feel so BIG!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kittysopretty

Ceramics feel so BIG!!

#1 Post by Kittysopretty »

Hi everyone! I'm new here! :)

I'm in braces at age 34 for the second time around (had metal braces for 2 yrs when I was 13-15) I got crowding again and my bite is off.

I have a question....I just don't remember them feeling so darn huge!! I have ceramics and they seem so big and awkward feeling. How long did it take for you to not be mindful of the braces? It's all I think about....how big these feel! :oops:

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Ceramics are bulkier than traditional metal, which is probably why they feel 'so darn huge'. My orthodontist said that after the first two weeks you barely notice them at all. Welcome to the board :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Hi there! It took about 2 weeks for me to feel comfortable with the ceramics and about 2 months to think that I could hardly feel them. You will soon get used to them, but, wow, it's wierd at first!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

Thanks guys....at least I know there is hope!!! I have only had them 10 days. This is funny but the day that I got them on, they didn't feel too bad. The next day they felt smaller......AFTER that, I swear they grew and grew, lol........after about 4-5 days I was honestly thinking that I can't handle this!!!

Lyn

#5 Post by Lyn »

Hey there!! :wink:
I went through the same thing. I felt the constant need to use my lip to cover them up. It was very annoying and I felt very self-conscious. But after about a month, I felt a little better. Just when things were going well, I got my lowers, metal, and went through the process all over again. I feel like people are constantly "staring" at me - - - like WOW THOSE THINGS ARE HUGE!!! I definitely can relate here!! :D

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Chocoholic

#6 Post by Chocoholic »

Hiya, my ceramics on top feel way bigger than the metal brackets on the bottom. Most of the time I don't notice them, but sometimes it's like 'woohaaah' what are these things, and my lip doesn't always cover them :roll:

calley03

#7 Post by calley03 »

I got ceramic tops Monday of this week. I have them on 6 teeth on the top, and from the beginning it seemed my lips had a much harder time fitting around the ceramic brackets. I can tell I am gradually getting used to both kinds, but it is seeming to take forever. I am happy with the choice I made, I have the ice brackets with wire ties, and I know I will be very happy with my decision in the end. Merry Christmas!!
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

blaat

#8 Post by blaat »

Trust me it will get better, at first i was bothered by a prominent central tooth which totally messed up the inside of my lip. After a while your bite and alignment improves and it will get pretty comfortable. I took about 3 to 4 months to get completely used to the feeling. The only think i can advice you is relax your lips when you feel self conscious and try not to think about them.

Good luck and merry christmas!
Uppers: Permanent retainer + hawley (night)
Lowers: Permanent retainer

Debanded since the 16th of Jan.