The story of my bicuspid extractions and a blood clot

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

The story of my bicuspid extractions and a blood clot

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi!

Warning! This post can be a little gross :?
I had 2 first bicuspids extracted yesterday. I was amazed how quickly was everything, and it didn't hurt at all. I walked out the ortho's office feeling a little pain, but once I got home and took the little pill my ortho gave me, I felt ok!

I removed the gauze out of the gaps at about 4 hours after the extractions. I kept bleeding but I couldn't stand the feeling of the wet gauze in my mouth, so I took it out, and the bleeding started slowing down. I ate ice cream for dinner and went to bed, everything was ok.

But this morning I woke up with a strange feeling. I slowly passed my tongue over the sites and...what? I had a huge blood clot over the left gap. The right side was ok, the little clot over that site seemed normal to me. But the left side...it was like my teeth had grew up again in coagulated blood! (It's gross, but that was how I felt it, sorry) :oops:

I made a search through this forum and couldn't find anything similar, so I started to freak out, thinking that all this was my fault for taking out the gauze (I couldn't remember the time the ortho told me it would be ok to take that out). I took a deep breath and I called him.

I was expecting to hear a "it's normal, let it be", but he instructed me to remove it! Ahhhh...I ran to the bathroom and started to cry. I don't know how I did it, but I surprisingly was able to remove a big part of this thing in a gently manner, and now it looks exactly like the other side.
I'm so happy that it went well, it didn't hurt and I'm feeling great.

I needed to share this experience with you...and I also think it might be useful for some people, because I didn't find any reference about this when I did the search. Anyone had a similar experience?

Now the gappy feeling is really annoying, but the good news is that my next appointment and maybe B-day is next monday!!! :D :D :D

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

dena

#2 Post by dena »

Wow, Jesslzz --I feel badly for you. I actually had four extractions yesterday myself, though I think I'm doing alright...my biggest problem is that I'm getting little bits of food caught no matter how hard I try not to...I just keep drinking liquids and swishing gently, and it's helping. Take care, and let us know how you're feeling. (The gaps are really weird!)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Brooke

#3 Post by Brooke »

Wow... I don't know how you managed to remove that! I would have gotten very dizzy, as I do not deal with blood to well. I would've been like "you expect me to remove this!!!??"

You are very brave, :o
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

airxjordan24

#4 Post by airxjordan24 »

i had two lower bicuspids exracted today. it has been 5 hours since the extraction and i am still getting moderate bleeding. how long will it take for the bleeding to stop?

sydsmom

#5 Post by sydsmom »

I think everyone is different, but I remember being surprised by how long my extraction sites bled, too...It was several hours, decreasing slowly with time. I finally got tired of sucking on bloody gauze so I stopped using it and it seems like that's when the bleeding finally stopped. That, and I got a freezing-cold smoothie for dinner! (ate it with a spoon since I was told not to use a straw).

lesdents

#6 Post by lesdents »

Yeah, my extraction sites took FOREVER to stop bleeding. I freaked out about it and really thought I was going to get dry socket because I take the BC pill. (That increases the risk...)

But it stopped, I calmed down, and now the gums have almost filled in the hole!

It's really scary, I know, but now you have really gross, bloody holes to show people to impress them! haha!

airxjordan24

#7 Post by airxjordan24 »

lesdents... how long did it take for your extractions to heal?

i havent really eaten anything except some blended protein shakes. i tried eating some soft foods, and it feels really weird with two holes on my mouth :(