Here we go...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

Here we go...

#1 Post by dena »

Yesterday I had my extractions and tomorrow I'm getting braced!

I was really nervous about the extractions, mostly because I developed a bad infection about 8 years ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Well, so far so good. The extraction of four teeth literally took less than 10 minutes--about 5 for the novicane and then literally a minute per tooth or something. It was way easier than I expected, and boy was I thankful!

Now, I've been taking it really easy and letting myself sleep whenever I want (I'm on break from grad school, so I have the luxury!) I'm continuing to try to drink lots of liquids and water. I've eaten various soups, tuna salad, mashed potatoes, hummus...frankly, all of those have left food in the sockets, no matter how hard I try to keep that from happening. It's kinda scary, but I think I remember this happening with my wisdom teeth, too (and that wasn't the cause for the infection.) I think it's inevitable. I do notice that if I'm diligent about drinking and swishing gently, the food seems to pop out (literally) on its own at random. I called the dentist just to check and they confirmed not to work the food out but just to drink and swish gently. They said by tomorrow I should be mostly out of the woods on the dry socket issue, so I could 'swish more aggressively' :D

My extractions went so well I didn't even get pain medication--they just told me to use over-the-counter pills as needed. I didn't take anything for hours, though I'm taking advil now because I'm finding that my jaw is sore (kinda like being punched in the chin) and that my gums are irritated (just like they were with the spacers.) This increases when I eat, so I've been trying to take advil after eating, not before.

I'm hopeful I can clean my teeth well and be pain free enough to take on the braces tomorrow! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Dena,

Glad your extractions went well! I've had 10 teeth extracted so far in my life and I still haven't had my wisdom teeth removed but I've never found them to be that bad! :shock:

Good luck tommorrow with braces! :thumbsup: Just try to get a good nights sleep tonight even though you'll be nervous and excited. :wink: Just remember lots of lip balm and don't be afraid to use wax. your teeth will probably be a little sore tommorrow so don't be afraid to use ibuprofen (its my very good friend.) :wink:

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :dance: :-#)

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Good luck tomorrow Dena! Glad you are feeling good so soon after having your extractions. :dance:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

gsx

#4 Post by gsx »

Buena suerte Dena!
Enjoy your last day brushing your teeth without braces. Also I will recomend you have your favorite meal 'cause in a few days after braces don't expect to have more than soups and soft food!
regards