New here!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ErinABerens

New here!

#1 Post by ErinABerens »

Hi there everyone! My name is Erin and I am 28 years old. I am a Special Education teacher and I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia (orginally from Jersey City, NJ).
I have wated braces all my life but I was very poor as a child and my parents couldn't afford to get them for me. I have a huge overbite caused by an underdeveloped lower jaw and to make matters worse, I have a gap between my tooth front teeth! Geez, reading that makes me sounds just lovely!! LOL It's not that bad :P I also have a bad case of TMJ.
I just had my spacers put in yesterday and I get my bands next Thursday and brackets on Friday. I am very, very excited BUT I must admit I am HATING these spacers!!! I feel like I have huge hunks of steak stuck between my teeth.
The orthodontist put 8 of them in, 4 on top, 4 on the bottom. It wasn't so bad at first but by last night it my gums were starting to ache. Today it is very hard me from to chew because my teeth hurt. I keep fantasizing about pulling them out! Well, at least I only have to wear them for a week.
My orthodontist tells me that I will have to wear the braces for 2 years. originally, he recommended jaw surgery to fix my lower jaw but that is just not an option for me. I want nice teeth but not willing to have major surgery. Then, we decided that he would take out two of my top teeth so that the overbite will not be too noticable. He said that without surgery I will still have amazing results. YIPEE!!!!!
I'd love to hear from anyone who hated their spacers also or has/had similiar problems with their teeth. I will post pictures once I get all my gear on :D
Erin

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

Congrats on starting your journey! This is a great board, there are so many supportive people and it's a great place to go when you have any questions or even just need to rant to people who understand. Good luck with your braces,

xoxo Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

ErinABerens

#3 Post by ErinABerens »

Thanks so much!

Geri

#4 Post by Geri »

Good luck, Erin. I second what Eve says....this is a terrific place to come to for information and to vent when you feel the need. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

:dance:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

ErinABerens

#5 Post by ErinABerens »

It's good to hear that it will not be all misery! My sister wears braces now (she's the one who told me about this site) and she says the same thing. I have just taken Bayer and that seems to help. The only annoying this is I can't chew hard things like yummy candy! Oh well, it's worth it! :D

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

Welcome to this awesome board ERin! :-1

Congratulations on finally starting your journey. :thumbsup:

Yes, spacers were definitely a big pain in the rear but it does get better from here. Just eat some soft foods for now and take some pain meds. :wink:

Good luck wiht your braces and keep us posted! :-#)

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

dena

#7 Post by dena »

Hi Erin! I'm 25 and just got braces--I always wanted them too, but we didn't have those resources when I was a kid. I have to tell you, I thought I would not like the braces, but I find myself looking at them in the mirror constantly! I think they are kinda cute, but I REALLY appreciate them so much since I've wanted them for so long. It's really one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me.

That said, the pain still sucks. I have totally been hittin' the pill bottle the last few days because I had 4 extractions first and then braces two days later. I have to say, though, the pain this week wasn't as bad as the pain from the spacers. Those are totally annoying! I had 8 also. It will get better...either the pain will subside or they'll be off. I totally fantisized about ripping them out too...you aren't alone!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Lucifina

#8 Post by Lucifina »

Hiya Erin! :-1 Your teeth issues sound just like mine minus the spacers. Parents said if I wanted them I would have to buy them myself. I am 26 now and I did. Just go them on 12/09/05. Overbite, big gap in the two front teeth and lower jaw under developed. I was anti surgery big time. No way no how, not gonna happen :x My ortho knew I was against it so he said he could remove two of my top teeth and fix it that way...until he got my x-rays back :roll: then he said he would not take my teeth out because my lower jaw was under developed and if her took out 2 top teeth it would make my face look caved in :cry: Some other folks here heard similar things from their orthos. So I made an appointment for a surgery consult. :shock:
Nice to meet ya! Good Luck! :BigGrin: I got before and after picks on my site too!
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

gracie381

#9 Post by gracie381 »

Welcome! I'll just say you're going through the worst part now. It will get much easier each month. Good luck on your journey! Be sure & keep us updated!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08