Mmmmm.....smoothies

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelby014

Mmmmm.....smoothies

#1 Post by Shelby014 »

I was wondering what kind of ingredients that you guys like best in your fruit smoothies, and what else to put in them to make them more filling, like i've heard of putting soy protein in it or something like that, because i have started a diet(i've lost 5 lbs. already!!) and i needed something yummy to take to school, and the smoothie sounded great, but its gotta be fairly filling. I love strawberries, and cherry's, and bananas etc etc. Thanks to everyone who replies
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

arnette

#2 Post by arnette »

I know Whole Foods sells frozen mixed berries as well as frozen strawberries that go well with vanilla yogurt, non-fat milk, and soy protein. You have to work with the ratios to get it just right but they're pretty dang good.

Shelby014

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

i haven't ever seen soy protein at any supermarket around here, i might just be looking in the wrong places. They sell large contains of plain vanilla yogurt here, so no problems there, i think i'm just going to go with strawberries for right now, because i dont know what would take good with what. And does anyone have pretty precise measurements on making a smoothie(i hate runny smoothies bye the way)
Thanks Arnette for replying so quickly! :D
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Avarik

#4 Post by Avarik »

I mix frozen berries, fresh bannanas, fresh mangos, various flavors of sorbet, and tofu in my smoothies. I havn't seen soy protein, so I just substituted tofu in. They are good, but not all that filling.

Liza Bee

#5 Post by Liza Bee »

I have a smoothie making machine but I have found myself indulging in Smoothie King instead of making my own. I'm hooked on Carribbean Way with soy protein and multi-vitamins.

KK mentioned veggies in smoothies. Bolthouse Farms makes a smoothie drink called Green Goodness. I bought it at Walmart in the produce section and if I had read the ingredients list, I would have turned my nose up at it...kiwi, bananas--yum--but...spinach, green tea, spirulina, algae, barley...yikes!

Honest to goodness, it was sweet and delicious. Who knew? KK, I guess.

dena

#6 Post by dena »

yum--i want a smoothie right now!

you probably already thought of this, but i've rediscovered slim fast. i tried before for a diet but it's the perfect braces food because it's kind of a meal, chewing isnt required, and it has vitamins!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Shelby014

#7 Post by Shelby014 »

i was sitting here thinking...Lunch? At 11:15 at night, then i remembered the time difference LoLz :-#) That sounds really good, i think i might just try that, i will take the fruit to school seperately in little baggies, and take some vanilla yogurt as well.......Thanks Karen you come up with the best ideas!! I meant to ask you, what do you do to make sure you get enough protein? I am starting to worry a bit, because i realize that a vitamin a day might keep the doctor away, but it cant be a total substitute, and i dont eat eggs either, come to think of it i dont eat much of anything thats a good source for protein. Thanks for helping me out!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Shelby014

#8 Post by Shelby014 »

Thanks Dena, i never thought of slim fast, hmm....i wonder if you could use the vanilla kind of slim fast, or the powder kind, and put it in a smoothie? The vanilla isnt bad, and i dont suppose you could taste it anymore than you can really taste vanilla yogurt....*goes off to see if it will work*
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

dena

#9 Post by dena »

i dont see why you couldnt use slim fast powder in a smoothie? it's loaded with vitamins. yeah, i kinda freaked out when i went on the soft food diet--afraid i'd get scurvy or something (i just made that up...i dont even know what scurvy is really) if i didn't get enough veggies and stuff. mind you, i never worry about that stuff normally :D

yeah, tofu is a really really good idea, too. tofu tastes really good when it's cooked with anything.

i've also been eating hummus. avacado, too, is very soft.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Shelby014

#10 Post by Shelby014 »

A strawberry banana and vanilla smoothie, ahhh i can taste it now!! Dena thanks so much for suggesting that, i mean i would never have thought of it myself!! And its such a good idea, i mean its loaded with vitamins, and kinda filling, and it along with the fruit etc etc will be a pretty good lunch!! By the way i weighed myself earlier and i've lost 5 lbs since a week after newyears!!! I'm sooo happy!!! :banana:
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Avarik

#11 Post by Avarik »

If your worried about protein, I would suggest either tofu or fish. Or, you can try one of those protein shakes that bodybuilders use.

Shelby014

#12 Post by Shelby014 »

i would have to go with tofu, because i'm a vegetarian, so i dont eat meat. I just google protein, and soy protein came up, its supposed to be the best protein supplement there is, it comes from a complete protein strand or summin like that, but does anyone know where i could get some???
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

pruettmj

#13 Post by pruettmj »

To find soy protein, you can look at a health food store or a GNC. They have powdered protein drink mixes, usually in the vitamin/supplement section of the store. Good luck! :-1

Shelby014

#14 Post by Shelby014 »

Thanks you guys, and i have an appointment with my doctor on the 2 of february, so thats all set. I hope its not too expensive especially if its sold at GNC. Thanks for telling me where to get it though!!
Actually thanks to everyone for posting such helpful little hints!!
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

pruettmj

#15 Post by pruettmj »

The one that I've bought at GNC was around $25-$27 (not cheap), but is a HUGE :shock: container. It comes in vanilla and is pretty good. :thumbsup: