New here - story so far

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nick_uk

New here - story so far

#1 Post by nick_uk »

Hey,

Ive been reading stuff here for a while, thought I'd share my story (so far!).

Well, I've just turned 19, and have had my brace for just over a year. I expected to have it for a while, since from a young age, I knew that some of my milk teeth didn't have big teeth forming below them, and so as I got older, I'd be left with a few spaces and gaps. I was told that I was a "very rare case", hooray! :lol:

After having a couple of teeth surgically removed, I got my brace fitted (ceramic on top, grey on bottom). At first, I found it really hard to deal with, having one fitted in my last year of school. I didn't actually care about the brace really, it just made me more conscious of the gaps in my teeth.

The main thing that annoyed me when I was younger was the gap between my front teeth - which has just closed (yey!), after having a powerchain fitted a couple of weeks ago. I now have a few stubborn teeth which need to be pulled straight, to allow either an implant or bridge to fill the gaps properly. Only about a year left :roll:

Currently, I'm at university, and have a really active social life. So far my brace has only come up in conversation once, and people really don't seem to care at all. I am still conscious of the gaps though - cant wait for them to be filled!

One thing that really annoys me.. I've had no pain throughout the whole treatment (even the surgical extractions). When I got the powerchain fitted, it felt slightly tight for about an hour, but nothing else. I don't know if I'm the only one, but i'd love a little pain, just so I know its doing its job properly!

Anyway, just been for a curry, gunna go brush and examine the damage :)

Betty Bat

Howdy

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

Welcome! There are a bunch of people around the board who will tell you that you shouldn't complain if you don't feel any pain! It may sneak up on you sometime and/or you may just have a high threshhold and/or it just depends on the specifics of what's being done.

If I understand you correctly, you had a case where there were deciduous teeth (I think you called them milk teeth; I usually call them baby teeth) that didn't have other teeth behind them and you ended up with some spaces. And, your dentist told you that it was a "very rare case". Well, I had the same thing (2 teeth) and I know a lot of other people who have the same. So, I'm sorry to tell you that you may not be special in that regard.

Hope you enjoyed the curry. The only food I've ever eaten that was too spicy for me to finish was some Indian food in London - even spicier than the food in Bangalore and Delhi.

nick_uk

#3 Post by nick_uk »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that im not really that much of a rarity :)

I am missing 4 teeth in all - 2 at the top, and 2 at the bottom. Do you know, from what you were told, if there is any possibility of getting a bridge before the full brace/retainer treatment is complete? A couple of the gaps are just shouting to be filled. The deciduous teeth were left in, and so there are a couple of very unattactive little teeth at the moment.

I experienced the strangest feeling ever at my last appointment. I had had some glue on my back teeth, helping my teeth to meet when biting. I had this removed, and I just couldn't work out where to put my jaw to bite, it was all over the place! This wore off after a few days, but felt so strange!

By the way, lovely curry. I already dyed my powerchain yellowish on some piccalilli last week, so am happy to eat anything at the moment.

Betty Bat

Implants

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
I'm scheduled to get permanent dental implants - the work will start 3 months before the end of my braces treatment. There was someone on the site (and I apologize for not remembering who) who had temporary implants and it sounded like those were in place during the brace period. Not sure about anything with bridges. Perhaps someone else could comment on that.