Do paler gums around the teeth mean they are healthy gums?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crowded Mouth

Do paler gums around the teeth mean they are healthy gums?

#1 Post by Crowded Mouth »

I have been looking at all the pics of the brace wearers on here and the gums around the teeth are all shades of pale to red... I think pale is good yeah?

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

Hmm I always thought if they were too pale that you're lacking in something and it's better to be darker pink (though I don't think very red is good either as I think it shows inflammation?).

Hope this helps...

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

fyrelight

#3 Post by fyrelight »

Pink is healthy. Red is swollen/inflamed. White would mean pressure is on the gums... like your skin goes white if you press it, then take your finger off. The particular amount of paleness may have to do with race, though... I'm very pale/white -- redhead -- so, mine are pretty light pink. :oops: Oh yeah, and if your gums are yellowish, you're jaundiced (liver problem). I would bet if you are anemic (low red blood cells), your gums would be paler too.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

Hmmm, I think it's more of a genetic thing.

Extremes aren't a good sign, for example if your gums are bright red and swollen or really pale/white, well obviously neither of those are good. However, as for light pink vs a paler pink, personally I don't think it has anything to do with gum health...

But I could be wrong
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

The question to ask is "Do my gums look significantly paler or darker than usual?"

If so, then mention it to your ortho/dentist.