Expander questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

butterfly

Expander questions

#1 Post by butterfly »

Hi

Got my lower expander (removable) today. I feel very bad. Lower fronts hurt bad. :(

I have a few questions.

I will have to turn the screw 3x every week. Is it better to turn it once a week for 3 steps or three times a week 1 step each? Ortho said both is possible.

What time of the day should I turn it? I suppose not before bedtime! Rather in the morning?

I am not supposed to eat with it. The plate covers the top of my teeth which also prevents me to bite off the upper brackets. How much time without the expander is ok? I don't want to damage the result by letting them relapse all the time.

I cannot speak at all. It sounds like a have food in my mouth. (For an important phone call I removed the expander...) Any ideas how to train speaking? Is there a special text for it? (English is fine). Will it improve?

Now about the pain. Will the pain ever stop? Every time I turn the screw it's like a new expander isn't it? 4 months sound pretty bad. How will I survive that!!! :x Sorry for venting a bit!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

OceanGirl

#2 Post by OceanGirl »

Your expander sounds a lot like the one I had. You will get used to it, just give it time. I used to take out mine when I was on the phone. I think I would feel so self conscious of it when I was on the phone I would make myself lisp more. I think the longest I had my expander out was probably 4 hours but it was much later in the treatment. I wouldn't leave it out very long starting off. Just long enough to eat and clean the expander and put that thing back in your mouth again. I used to turn the key twice a week. I don't know but i think 1 turn 3xs a week would be easier them 3 turns 1x a week. I think with 3 at once you would feel the pressure a lot more. I had to wear mine for 9 months but stopped expanding after about 5 months. I found singing along with the radio while in the car helped my speech as well as practicing certain words. Just hang in there, it will get better, trust me!
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on
Expander on top, TMJ retainer on bottom

Dec 17 2005
Expander and retainer out
Braces on bottom, bite blocker on top

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Debanding will be Sept 2007.. FINALLY