Orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

Orthodontist

#1 Post by Flora2006 »

I've been readin so many posts about people's experiences with their orthodontist and the assistante etc...

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had everything done by the ortho only? My orthodontist works alone so he's the one doing every single thing...there are no assistants or anyone else like that...so I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same situation? Or am I the only?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

Hey Flora, I think you have it best. I'd kill to have all of my time with the ortho!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

Honestly, I don't like the dental assistants at my orthos office. They can't do anything right when I go in for an adjustment, they often hurt me and apoligize while changing the ligs. The ortho however is very experienced and knows what he's doing.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

ah ok. i'm glad i'm not the only one...my ortho has a receptionist too and things like that but i was just surprised that so many here had their braces touched by an assisant and all...

~~~~~~

Will

#5 Post by Will »

My ortho hardly does any work.. the assistant does most of it :roll:
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

calley03

#6 Post by calley03 »

In my orthos office he has about 7 chairs lined up and most of them are full when I am there. He walks around and supervises and they try to keep you with the same assistant most of the time.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

johnnys_angel

#7 Post by johnnys_angel »

My orthodontist has probably twenty assistants (not all at the same time, of course), and they usually end up doing the 'easy' jobs such as lig changing, etc. However, my ortho always puts on and removes the brackets and checks the work every time before/after the assistant does what he has instructed. Luckily, he trains all of them himself and doesn't let them work on patients until he's positive that they know what they're doing, so they are all pretty experienced!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Avarik

#8 Post by Avarik »

My ortho normally will come in and check whats going on, and he does all the surgery himself. He will usually come in, take a look, tell the assistant what/how to do something, makes sure I don't have any questions, and then leaves. Thats fine with me though, because the assistant knows what shes doing (or...I'm pretty sure, atleast).

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

i'm a little surprised to learn that so much of the work is done by the assistants...i don't know if i would be able to cope with that lol. i'm already weary of doctors so having an assistant do any type of work would stress me out i think lol

~~~~~~

hannah164

#10 Post by hannah164 »

I was in the beginning for the most part worked on by the assitants and the ortho would come over and quickly check me and I would leave. :?

But now because of my impacted canines and my complicatedness :wink: my ortho always does the work on me himself. I guess he doesn't trust anyone else to do what he wants. :shock: I guess its pretty nice! :) It makes me feel more special i guess. :D But I then of course have much more pain! :roll:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment was supposed to be 1/11/06 but now has been rescheduled for 1/21/06
:?

BlueeyedManda

#11 Post by BlueeyedManda »

At my office the assistants do the work which doesn't really bother me because they are all really good at what they do. My ortho spends a good amount of time with me when he does his checks.
I can't complain since the service is good and everyone is very personable and they never hurt me while doing their adjustment.

Charles08b

#12 Post by Charles08b »

Don't worry! My ortho is also the only person who touches my teeth. He has an assistant who works at the reception and also helps him clean around the office (oh, and she mixed the awful, awful gunk for taking my impressions), but he does all the tooth-related work. Right down to simple lig changes. It helps that he's got a great attitude and sense of humour, so I never feel like i'm wasting his time or anything. Which I guess I shouldn't worry about anyway!

:D
Char

NotBob1

#13 Post by NotBob1 »

So far, which is only one appointment in the chair, it appears as if there are two and sometimes three assistants. They seem to be with it. One is young, one is probably late 30's. So far, so good, but a little too early to tell yet.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

BlueeyedManda wrote:At my office the assistants do the work which doesn't really bother me because they are all really good at what they do. My ortho spends a good amount of time with me when he does his checks.
I can't complain since the service is good and everyone is very personable and they never hurt me while doing their adjustment.
I am putting ditto marks on this post. I have no complaints so far about the care I am getting. If I ever have a emergency or problem they usually get me in that day, and they are always on time with my appointments. (SUCH a difference from my doctor's office where she is always behind and I spend more time waiting...either in the waiting room or the examining room. Grrr.)

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Svensk Tiger

#15 Post by Svensk Tiger »

My ortho does all the work, the assistant just passes her ligs and stuff! I have a vague memory of this being mentioned before and it seemed that this was typical of orthodontists in the U.K. If anyone knows any different though do feel free to put me right! :D
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007