Newbie here, with worries and regrets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Coffeegirl

Newbie here, with worries and regrets

#1 Post by Coffeegirl »

Hey there!
Braces were completed about 1hr ago... here's the story and the regrets:
After they completed the bottom row, I realized they put metal on... and I'm paying for ceramics... so, we had to take them off and start over. no biggie... even though I chose ceramics, I also chose colored (purple) ligs. I figured, I might as well embrace the braces! Now, I'm not regretting getting braces (oh no!) just getting colored ligs... I think my mouth looks ugly, and I currently wish I would have chosen clear, so that I could sorta ease my way into this 2 year committment.

Thanks for hearing me out! Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, ideas? always appreciated, as you all are the ones who know what i'm going through!

Lucifina

#2 Post by Lucifina »

Hiya! :-1 I got ceramics and I WANTED metal :( I didn't know what I was getting until I was done. I guess my ortho puts ceramics on all adults. Oh well so they are there now and I got black ligs! :D Had silver then got black at my first adjustment. I hated my smile but now I don't mind showing off my grill :mrgreen: as I know I am improving it. I work in a big corporate office and it is really no big deal. I just see it as they are there for 2 yrs (or however long your sentence is :shock: ) so like you say embrace the brace :thumbsup: Good Luck getting used to them and having them on your teeth for the first couple days! What all are you having done?
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Congrats Coffeegirl!!
I think that the first few days are a shock to your system, I remember looking at my teeth thinking they looked so terrible ( they were all wonky and all over the place) I had to keep thinking that it was only going to get better from there... ( it was like "rock bottom" for me)
Hang in there. I am sure that the purple ligs look great! I actually think that ceramics look pretty cool with colored ligs.
Good Luck with everything!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Coffeegirl,

Congratulations on beginning your ortho treatment.

I'm sorry you don't like the color of the ligs. If you still don't like them next Monday, call your ortho's office and explain the situation and ask if you can go in to get them changed - hopefully they will be able to help you. Because all of this is new to you, I think it would be an easier transition for you if you had a lig color that you liked. Maybe in the near future you will feel differently about the lig colors. One suggestion, it has been indicated that the clear ligs stain, you may want to get smoke or grey. I had grey ligs with my ceramic braces before and it looked fine - it seemed to blend well.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

congrats on getting braces!! like it was said, clear ligs stain...i have them and they are fine still but only because i'm so scared of getting them stained that i only drink water! I think you'll get used to your ligs and braces in no time though if not...call your ortho as it was suggested and hopefully he can do something about it :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

gypsydoodlebug

#6 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I got clear ligs yesterday, but I'm obsessed with keeping them clean so they don't stain. I had spaghetti for dinner (cut with a pair of kitchen shears for both my 2.5-year-old AND me!!) and went right upstairs afterward...OH MY GOD I had half a tablespoon of basil stuck in there!! LOL!!

I think next time I'll ask for smoke colored ligs or cream or something so I don't have to obsess. Of course, right now I want to take pliers and rip em all off...

I wish I had metal on top....they don't hurt at all on the bottom but the ceramics are ripping me to shreads on the top.

I think purple would be cute!! Good luck!
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

dena

#7 Post by dena »

hey! yes, definitely get your ligs changed, sooner if possible or at your first adjustment. I got traditional pearl on the clear and silver on the metal. I think I might ask for pink and red alternating on the metals for february though! I went with the most neutral look at first because I didn't know how I'd feel about them. But I love them so now I want colors! I will probably only put colors on my metals, not the clear, for awhile...until I have more courage :)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

Coffeegirl: I got mine three days before you and had the same thoughts as to my smile being shocking. I have all metal BTW. You WILL get used to it, don't worry. I am already getting used to it after multiple looks in the mirror with looks of horror! I go to the sink in the bathroom to wash my hands and give a little smile in the mirror, become shocked, chuckle, shake my head just a little and say to myself: "What did I do??!!" :yikes:

It is absolutely a shock to see all of those brackets on your teeth! The funny thing is, after awhile, you can't imagine your smile without them. This is what I remember from my last go around.

Give it a couple of weeks before you make any -serious- changes. (changing ligs is not what I consider serious.)
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.