WHY NOT!!!???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ChloeAE

WHY NOT!!!???

#1 Post by ChloeAE »

My ortho said I can't get ceramics on the bottom teeth! Only on the top. I am very upset. Why can't I? He won't even give me a reason...I think I might get a second opinion...my bottom teeh are already pretty strait so I don't get why...should I get anothor opinion...I really don't want metal on the bottom.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

my ortho didn't want me to get ceramic on the bottom either...he gave a good reason i just don't remember...something about strength though...sorry that i can't help you more

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

shpawn

#3 Post by shpawn »

Hi there!

I've had ceramics top and bottom for one year now.

At my first consultations my ortho never said I couldn't have them on the bottom or anything like that . He made it clear that it was completely up to me, now that I think about it he didn't even recommend metal braces.

I've never had problems due to the ceramic braces--they work just fine if you ask me. A year ago my bottoms were extremely messed up, now they're looking great.

The only thing I can think of as to why your ortho doesn't want to give you ceramics on your bottom teeth is the size of your teeth. Bottom teeth tend to be smaller and ceramic braces tend to be bulkier, so sometimes they might now be able to adhere to the teeth that well.

Look at your teeth--are they on the large or on the small size..that might be your answer.
My teeth are pretty big and I remember my ortho pointing that out at the beginning so that might be the answer to ceramic bottoms.

krennen

#4 Post by krennen »

My Ortho wouldn't put ceramic on the bottom because he said the ceramic is harder on your top teeth's enamel if they rub against the lower brackets.

shpawn

#5 Post by shpawn »

ops ....I'm so sorry, I made a silly mistake in my previous post

I DO NOT have CERAMICS, I have clear braces top+ bottom,
so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter, even though clear braces are kind of bulky like ceramics

anyway, I'm very sorry again.

shpawn

#6 Post by shpawn »

kiwi,

thanks for the kind words. I'm beyond happy with how everything's going.

I have clear braces--as you said they are made of some softer material (pastic)

I don't think my ortho works with ceramics at all.

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

The whole clear/ceramic brackets thing just confused me too...
I know mine are clear but not sure what material they are made out of.

shpawn

#8 Post by shpawn »

kiwi,
I just took a look at your web site --I have exactly what you have on your top arch :)

dena

#9 Post by dena »

kirst1583--I didn't even think of that. I think I must have plastic, not ceramic, too...how do you tell?

ChloeAE--my ortho will only place metal on bottom, so that's what I have.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

shpawn

#10 Post by shpawn »

kiwi,

yep, that's the brand I have too ...but why do you call them ceramic, aren't they called clear? ....now I'm getting confused too :)

kirst1583

#11 Post by kirst1583 »

dena wrote:kirst1583--I didn't even think of that. I think I must have plastic, not ceramic, too...how do you tell?
Dena - I have absolutely no idea!!! I got my braces on that long ago I can't even remember what brand/material my ortho said they were.

BlueeyedManda

#12 Post by BlueeyedManda »

My ortho will do ceramics on bottom teeth but not in all cases. He had told me he couldn't didn't want them on my bottom teeth just so they wouldn't get knocked by my upper teeth. I understood and accepted that reason. I was going to do metals just because no one would see my bottom teeth anyway.
When I just had my uppers put on months and months ago, in the beginning I hit my bottom teeth a couple of times when I was talking and it hurt. I have not done that in a long time but I have heard that ceramics can cause teeth to chip if you hit them. That's a bit scary.
I did get ceramics on my teeth because it was not noted in my chart that he didn't want them on bottom. I haven't had any problems and he said we will keep them put as long as no problems arise.

chrisd

#13 Post by chrisd »

the ceramic braces are slightly bigger than the metal brackets, so if your upper front teeth are very close to your lower fronts the ceramic bracket could come into contact with the bottom of your top front teeth when you close your mouth. since both metal AND ceramic are harder than your teeth it could cause wear. that is the most common reason not to use lower ceramics.
chris

Lyn

#14 Post by Lyn »

Hey all....
I have ceramic (I think....I'm totally confused now) on the tops and metal on the bottom.

The reason I was told I couldn't have ceramics on bottoms is because of my overbite. Ceramics are made of glass, which can shatter if you are chewing and the teeth rub against them. Metal is able to take the contact better, I guess. So because of my bite, I would be hitting into them which would make them come off??? I think. :roll:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

dena

#15 Post by dena »

Lyn--so ceramics are made of glass in some way? Mine are definitely plastic! I don't think my ortho and I talked about what these are, but I'll find out when I'm in next time!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months