Second thoughts?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

Second thoughts?

#1 Post by ssfw »

Just wondering if any of you had second thoughts about proceeding with ortho treatment while at the first appointment to begin ortho treatment? If you did, what happened?

This happened to me on 1/3/06, even though I had 2-1/2 months to make a decision. My appt. on 1/3/06 was to get an impression for my upper expander and I was having second thoughts while sitting in the ortho. chair waiting for the ortho. to confirm this was going to be done on that day. I'm just glad I didn't change my mind because the sooner I begin the sooner I will be done. I think if I didn't proceed with it then, I probably wouldn't have gone through with it in the future, but I know the orthodontic problem would have always been in the back of my mind.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Anticipator

#2 Post by Anticipator »

I did too, and I'm sure I'm not the only one either. It's easy to panic when you're engaging in something that's potentially significant to you on multiple arenas; socially, biologically, financially, etc.

It was a temporary doubt though, and I'm not regretting it at all right now (although I really do wish I'd be able to see some improvements already to feel more justified :P )

The day will pass and soon, as with most "overwhelming" decisions, you'll find that it was easier to deal with than you'd made it out to be.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

I get those feelings from time to time. The "what are you doing?","it's not too late to back out!". I'm going forward though. One, this really need to be done, unless I want ugly smile for life. Second, they informed me they made a boo boo on the paperwork and should have charged me more. But since it was their mistake and the contract was signed they are obligated to it. What are the odds? No, it wasn't a lot but it all counts. :P

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Thanks for your posts. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had second (or more) thoughts. I just thought it may have been unusual to be sitting in the ortho chair ready to begin the treatment and have these thoughts going through my mind, even though I already had 2-1/2 months to make this decision (no, I never expressed these feelings to my orthodontist on that day, I just knew I had to think fast and make a final decision at that moment).

ssfw

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi bracedagain,

Good luck with your records appt. on 2/1/06. Since you had braces before at least you will know what to expect regarding the records appt. and getting the braces. Not sure how long ago you had braces so maybe some of the techniques and brackets may have changed for the better. Still, getting orthodontic treatment can be an overwhelming decision no matter how many times you have had braces. I was fine at the records appt. and consultations, I think I had second thoughts on the spacer insertion day when I realized the ortho treatment was really going to begin and I no longer would have the chance to change my mind.

Keep us posted on your diagnosis and treatment.

ssfw
bracedagain wrote:Hi ssfw; I'm sure most people have 2nd thoughts about getting braces, because it is a huge commitment to make what with all the extra time you have to commit to your dental hygiene for one thing, and eating problems when your teeth hurt after adjustments.
My records appt. is Feb. 1st and i am already getting those butterflys when I think about it! Probably by the time I get into the "chair of torture" those butterflys will be big ol firebreathing dragons flying around in there! I'll make it thru it tho as this isn't my first round of braces, due to relapse. Like you said, the sooner you get started, the sooner they come off and you'll be so glad you made the journey down Braceland Lane when you see the results! Best of Luck to ya' :thumbsup:

dena

#6 Post by dena »

ssfw: I banked the money and went to the orthos and tried not to think about it. When it was all in place, and all I had left to do was sign on the dotted line, I tried to keep from thinking about it as much as possible. In my mind, I wanted to cross two hurdles..writing the big check and having my bicuspids pulled...I knew at that point that there was no going back! (It's funny--that's exactly what my ortho said to me the day he put on my braces.)

I saved freaking out for afterwards and LUCKILY it's just happiness and excitement now :)

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

I am afraid that I'll be sitting in the chair on Thursday having second thoughts. I'm trying to push those thoughts away right now and I'm only somewhat successful. It's all very scary.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Hi Kelly,

I hope your appointment to get your braces on goes well this Thursday. Just keep in mind you chose to proceed with orthodontic treatment for a reason, whether it is for the health of your teeth or cosmetic or both. I hope you have an orthodontist/assistant that has a great 'bedside manner' and will be able to push the second thoughts out of your mind.

Usually after my appointments at the orthodontist, I seem to feel relieved and as though I am moving forward on the ortho treatment. Usually I do something fun to treat myself after each appointment, whether it is going to Starbucks for some coffee or going to a favorite store or whatever comes to mind. I guess this is similar to the kids getting incentive prizes at the ortho's office. I made a promise to myself that every 3 months from when I begin the orthodontic treatment, I will do something real special for myself, for example, have a special dinner, go to the movies, etc.

I'm glad I posted this question, it's really nice to know that others have gone through similar situations.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Kell wrote:I am afraid that I'll be sitting in the chair on Thursday having second thoughts. I'm trying to push those thoughts away right now and I'm only somewhat successful. It's all very scary.

Kell

#9 Post by Kell »

I hope your appointment to get your braces on goes well this Thursday. Just keep in mind you chose to proceed with orthodontic treatment for a reason, whether it is for the health of your teeth or cosmetic or both. I hope you have an orthodontist/assistant that has a great 'bedside manner' and will be able to push the second thoughts out of your mind.
Thank you so much. My main hang up is the money. If my kids need braces I will spend the money on them in a second but to spend it on myself it hard for me to do. For me this is the right time so I'm going through with it but it's a hard decision. I just know if I wait even 6 months I won't have anything done. My oldest is going to need to get an expander probably this summer and after that I would just be thinking of him (and his brothers next) and would put myself on the back burner again.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

flowertowngal

Starbucks!

#10 Post by flowertowngal »

That's so funny someone mentioned this - that's exactly what I do after every ortho appt. - there is a Starbucks right across the street and I treat myself. I figure I've earned it after sitting in that chair for an hour and being poked and prodded.

And yes, I've had second thoughts every step of the way. It's hard not to when doing something this life-changing. And it doesn't help that the reaction you get when you tell other people what you're going to do is usually "Oh, you don't need braces!". I guess, though, what do we want them to say? "Thank goodness - you really need them!"? Hee hee.

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

usually "Oh, you don't need braces!". I guess, though, what do we want them to say? "Thank goodness - you really need them!"? Hee hee.
Priceless. remember, it's easy for them to say that. It's not their teeth. I have 2 sisters. One says I'm wasting my time and money, the other says, get those teeth fixed!!! It was her that said, "that's because it's not their teeth".

ukcolin

#12 Post by ukcolin »

I keep having second thoughts but ive now had two teeth out so ive kinda go for it now - just booked my appointment to have ceramics on my top and bottom teeth

SueFromNJ

No more second thoughts!

#13 Post by SueFromNJ »

I had an initial ortho appointment 10 years ago, but never proceeded with it. That ortho was busy and brusque, and told me I needed an expander for 8 months, then 2 years of braces. I was naive back then, and I was looking for a quicker fix (I wanted someone to just fix my protruding fangs!) but the ortho made it clear that there are no quick fixes - everything in my mouth had to be fix, it is all or nothing. I was disillusioned pretty quickly and I also didn't have enough money at that time, so I forgot about it.

My next ortho appointment was three years ago, where I found a much nicer ortho. But this time I gladly went through with the treatment, since by then I fully realized how my horrible smile was basically ruining my life (or more exact, I was having no life because of my bad teeth!). Before braces, I looked horrible with my crooked teeth, and I was treated poorly by others. I could see it everywhere in my life, especially on the job. Everyone else around me already had great smiles, and my bad teeth really stood out. I realized I had to go through with the ortho treatment or I would never advance in a job or get anywhere in life. I wanted to be seen as a "person of quality" like everyone else. For whatever reason, if you have bad teeth, people are "turned off" by you, it seems to be human nature to respond favorably to a nice smile. Almost a subconscious thing, too. I was fed up living with this awful smile, when it didn't have to be like that!

So now I had braces for almost three years, and only wish I got it done years ago! I don't fool myself anymore - everyone needs a great smile to get anywhere nowadays. So no one should have second thoughts - get the braces!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

missing_tooth

#14 Post by missing_tooth »

I realized I had to go through with the ortho treatment or I would never advance in a job or get anywhere in life. I wanted to be seen as a "person of quality" like everyone else.
You hit the nail on the head right there. I talked to a coworker who had braces. He had some great things to say. Vain? Yes, probably some. The first thing I noticed when I met this guy was his teeth. Amazingly strait and white. Little did I know he had years of braces and 3 implants.

Nothing like a first impression.

- Missing Tooth -

OneTime

#15 Post by OneTime »

I had second thoughts after I had them on for that short period. I just get hungry most of the time and can't really eat much. The hunger is killing me.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08