Bonded retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceface82

Bonded retainers

#1 Post by Braceface82 »

after the braces come off is it necesarry for everyone that had braces to have bonded retainer (a retainer worn behind the front teeth) and is bonded retainer permanent after braces?

dena

#2 Post by dena »

hey:

this is a good question and I don't really have an answer. I've always heard of the bonded retainer going on bottom...and lots of people seem to have it! I am 99% sure my ortho said I would not have one, however. I'm not sure why that is, but he doesn't like permanent stuff after braces or something, so I'll just have a retainer. I guess it depends on your ortho and your case.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

I was told that I would have one put in and that it would be permanent. I don't know if it's necessary for everyone or not though.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

angelxdevil

#4 Post by angelxdevil »

My ortho told me i will get one bonded to the bottom and can get a bonded one on the top aswell if i want which im going to do. i think they can eventually come off after like 20-30 years or somthng not entirely sure on that one though :?

SueFromNJ

DEFINATELY will have them

#5 Post by SueFromNJ »

I am definately getting upper and lower bonded retainers of some sort. My ortho actually calls them "splints" and he said I MUST have my teeth splinted together since I have bone loss and root reabsorption. He is afraid I don't have enough bone to support my teeth and the teeth needed to be splinted together so to minimize the forces on my teeth, or something like that!

So I will have stuff on my teeth forever or until dentures! :shock:
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

Qtgirl

#6 Post by Qtgirl »

My ortho told me that I would need a bonded retainer on top and a regular one on the bottom. There was a link here at one time with a different type of bonded retainer that bonded to each teeth--I cant find it yet. Does anyone know what Im referring to?