Molds??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StacyJo

Molds??

#1 Post by StacyJo »

I've read several posts where people mention that molds were taken before being braced. Here's what happened with me....
I went to a cosmetic dentist who recommended braces and he recommended an ortho. But first, the cosmetic dentist filled two teeth and gave me a crown on one bottom tooth. Then I went to the ortho. He took X-rays.... looked in my mouth and rambled off some numbers to the assistant..... told me I have great gum structure..... said I was a great candidate for braces..... went over with me what he hopes to acheive...how long the treatment would take....and price. I made an appointment to be braced on January 20. But no molds were taken. What are the molds for and should I be worried that I didn't have molds taken ?

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi StacyJo,

Molds/impressions are usually taken at the records appt.in addition to panoramic and cephalometric x-rays and photos of your teeth.

Panoramic x-ray: a view of the entire upper and lower jaw and is taken to view the teeth, roots, nerve positions, jaw structures, joints, and locate missing or misplaced teeth. This x-ray is used for determining large feature problems, not to look for cavities.

Cephalometric x-ray: a full side view of the face used to determine the growth direction of the face, to measure the angulations of the teeth, and to see how the upper and lower jaw relate to the face.

Did you get the x-rays or photos done?

The molds are plaster-like impressions made of your upper and lower teeth. The orthodontist uses it during evaluation, consultation and to see the progress after ortho treatment has begun.

If you didn't get any of this done, you may want to ask your ortho about it. Of course, every ortho does things differently but I would think he would have at least had x-rays done.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

StacyJo

#3 Post by StacyJo »

Thank you for your reqponse. He took panoramic and cephalometric x-rays but no molds. He did this funky thing with mirrors in my mouth to get shots of my upper and lower teeth. I kept breathing and fogging up the mirror. :)

swan

#4 Post by swan »

He may do the molds on the day you get your braces.

They took some photographs of my mouth, too.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Avarik

#5 Post by Avarik »

My ortho never had molds taken for me. I jhad the pictures, and the xrays, as well as this additional 3d view of my entire skull which was like a 3d, full color xray.

Kell

#6 Post by Kell »

I just asked this question the other day because my ortho did not take a mold of my mouth either and as far as I know there is no plan to. I have a nephew in braces who goes to the same doctor so I asked him if he had a mold taken. He did not have one either. My SIL said the ortho periodically takes more x-rays to check the progress. I plan to ask my ortho on Thursday when I go to have my braces put on. I am still curious as to why some need a mold taken and some don't.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.