The Older Crowd

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Entropy

The Older Crowd

#1 Post by Entropy »

Greetings,
Are you your orthodontist's oldest patient? They tell me that I'm not, but I've never seen anyone else in the office older who wasn't a parent of a patient. I'm 43 and just got my second go-'round with metal-mouth on 12/6.
My son has had braces for nearly a year and I had braces when I was in Jr. High, way back when braces involved enormous bands around every tooth and lots of foul cement to hold them on. My treatment never closed the gap between my front teeth (think of the Governator) and I've been self-consious of it all of my adult life. So finally, I did something about it.
When I go to the orthodontist, I feel so odd because the place is set-up for the younger set with SPAMS and teen magazines (except for Trailer Boat magazine which I thusly read a lot of)
So far, my peers' outward reaction has only been mild amusement and some curiosity except for my brother (who could use some realignment himself) who thinks that it's hilarious. I guess that brothers are always 10 years old.
So, how are you old-enough-to-have-kids-in-braces folks doing with your newfound tinsel-teeth?

Mickey
CA

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

You are certainly not the oldest. Going for my consult I saw a man getting out of a chair and he looked to be at least 60. I've also been told by my ortho practice that they are seeing more and more adult patients.

pruettmj

#3 Post by pruettmj »

The dad of one of my friends has braces. He is in his late 50's or early 60's. I'm 41 and wouldn't mind getting my teeth fixed, but have to take care of the kids first!

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Doing great here! Click on my signature to see my before and current pix.

I have 3 kids and the youngest just got her brackets last week. The other two are older and their teeth are finished.

I use a different ortho than they do. I wanted self-ligating (no ligs) and they wanted to have colors to show off their metal.

I am not the oldest (I'm 42) at my ortho's office. I have seen older men and women there. The assistant said they'd had a woman who was almost 80 :shock: as a patient a few years before!

Best of luck to you (and your son)!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

krennen

#5 Post by krennen »

Glad to know there are more of us old folks around. I'm in my late 40's and really feel strange about the whole thing. I showed my kids today--they are away at college. They really didn't say much, guess they figure I'm old enough to do what I want.

Wren

#6 Post by Wren »

My ortho has a patient who is in her 80s... More power to her! :)
Braces on: May 2005
Braces off: August 2006 (4 months early, hooray!)

MadeIn1984

#7 Post by MadeIn1984 »

Wren wrote:My ortho has a patient who is in her 80s... More power to her! :)
That's totally awesome! :D
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

Granola

#8 Post by Granola »

I am 40 and am definitely not the oldest patient in my orthos' (there are two) office. I would guess that the adults I have seen range in age from early 30s to late 50s. I have been in for several meetings there and so far haven't seen any children in the waiting area, though one was in the back getting work done while I was in the consultation room (I could hear them trying to convince him to open his mouth for photographs).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Well everyone keeps telling me that I'm not the oldest one at the orthodontist OR here, but no one has spoken up on these pages that is older than me at 52 ....will be 53 in Feb.

I feel like I live at the orthodontist because I have to go every other week to have my impacted canine re-tied so I have learned to go in the morning. That seems to be when the older crowd goes. The younger ones go after school I guess. I did see someone there that looked older than me once but he was getting his braces off that day. I just feel so whiny if I complain about a problem in front of the kids. I have never heard one of the kids complain. Makes me feel like a big baby.!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

missing_tooth

#10 Post by missing_tooth »

I have a saying for you. Old is between the ears. Your only as old as you act. I've met young persons that act old and vice versa. I don't even plan to get old, remaining mentally youthful.

So go ahead, ride the grocery store cart, buy the goofy toy for your desk / work area, be funny and witty with the comments you make with others. :)

** Warning, others may think you are younger than you are **

// Ride grocery cart at your own risk

Betty Bat

#11 Post by Betty Bat »

Way too old for this,
I've got you beat - I'm 53. I wasn't responding because I was waiting for the steam to stop coming out from my ears!

If it makes you feel better to think that you aren't the oldest person at your ortho, then go ahead and think it. Hopefully, you aren't going to go up to the oldest person there, dance around and and sing "I'm younger than you are!"

We all have feelings - about our braces and about ourselves. If you want to feel better at someone else's expense, that's your perogative. But us "old folks" have feelings, too.

IndyBraceFace

#12 Post by IndyBraceFace »

My orthodontist said they have several patients in their 70s. I felt insecure as a 22 year old sitting in a chair between a bunch of 12 year olds until I heard that.

mackenzie

#13 Post by mackenzie »

I'm 16 and I feel old at my otho. I've only seen one person with braces on older than me, and she was in her mid 20's. The office is full of little kid toys, SPAMS, and has the cartoon Rugrats painted on the walls. :? What can you do?

butterfly

#14 Post by butterfly »

My ortho shares the same office building with a dental surgeon. When I had my first adjustment I was running a bit early and had to wait outside and wait for them to open. They were other patients waiting: Two obvious school girls and a lady in her fifties. I was 100% sure the lady was waiting for the surgeon until she sported a ceramics smile... There ARE definitely adult patients! A friend of my husbands granny did it at age 65. It's never to late to feel better about yourself!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Huon

#15 Post by Huon »

I was 70 when I got my braces and they came off 15 months later, which was 9 months ago. I have a normal -feeling bite for the first time since my adult teeth came down, despite ortho treatment when I was about 14 and about which, the less said the better. I didn't encounter any other adults in my ortho's rooms, although he tells me that he has a number of adult patients.
Yes, my family told me that I was mad but I know how dissatisfied I was with my crowded teeth and uncomfortable bite. When I look at old photos, I see how much I kept my teeth hidden. Now, I grin at everyone.
Huon.