Sad observation! An imperfect smile dampens a makeover.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrbecca

Sad observation! An imperfect smile dampens a makeover.

#1 Post by jrbecca »

:computer:

I had the television turned on while cooking dinner tonight, and decided to tune into an episode of "What Not To Wear" on TLC. The fashion "criminal" was a beautiful woman, made even more stunning by a head-to-toe makeover.

I noticed that she didn't have straight teeth - they were slightly crooked and there were a few gaps between her upper teeth. Her crooked smile wasn't at all eye-catching, but, as I'm sure most of you can relate, when you're in the middle of orthodontic treatment, you tend to notice these things more.

As I mentioned, she was stunning by the end of the show. She had a dazzling new wardrobe, a flattering hairstyle and gorgeous makeup. However, she rarely showed her teeth while smiling. While the makeover gave her a boost of confidence, she refrained from ever flashing a toothy smile at the camera. While standing in front of a mirror, she'd be delighted at how great an outfit looked on her and start to smile, but then remember that the camera was on her, and quickly close her lips.

I just thought it so sad that here she was--a beautiful woman who looked like a million bucks, but because her smile wasn't perfect, it was almost as if there was something missing about the "new" her. It made me wonder if she was going to run out and get her teeth fixed to complete the look.

But, really, how sad. Here you get a new $5,000 wardrobe, and an imperfect smile keeps you from enjoying your new look. :? Of course, we've all been there having/had crooked smiles of our own.

I suppose it just puts things a bit in perspective for me. Would I rather have a new designer wardrobe, or straight teeth? Considering that my self-confidence is likely to quadruple when my orthodontic treatment is all said and done, I think I may look and feel like a whole new woman regardless of what I wear! :D

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

i don't think that people necessarily need to have beautiful teeth in order to feel beautiful and comfortable in their skin...i do understand what you are saying though.

personally, i never really took into consideration that my teeth were that bad because they weren't...they never made me feel less pretty...sure i thought of the idea of having them look better but they never really affect my life...i got braces just last week and to be honest, i never even considered getting braces until i went to see my dentist in november and we talked about it...

right now i am excited at the idea of having really nice teeth at the end of my treatment but i don't think it will really change how i see myself...but yes, i can't wait to have them perfect

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

I don't think jrbecca meant anything offensive in her post. In fact, I thought both jrbecca's and Flora2006's posts were very interesting. Overall I feel if a person is happy with how their teeth look, great - not every smile has to be perfect. But, at the same time, jrbecca was very observant, overall if a person is not happy with their teeth/smile, it can effect them in many ways, even during one of your happiest moments. Of course, due to the expense of ortho. treatment, unfortunately not everyone that wants braces can afford them.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

oh no no...i was not offended at all by the post... i agree in a lot of levels what was said...many people feel the same way... i was just stating the way i feel about my teeth :)

~~~~~~

SueFromNJ

Makeover shows

#5 Post by SueFromNJ »

I seen many of these makeover shows, and I always think the same thing - if the person has crooked teeth, it overrides everything else. The new look just doesn't do much without an attractive smile being there. :(

I saw another episode of "What Not To Wear" that featured two dark-haired sisters in their mid-thirties. Both sisters had bad teeth - it appeared that both were missing a canine (must be genetic). But one sister's teeth just were awful - flared and spaced, and overall looked very unattractive. The whole episode I could not stop staring at her teeth and wondering why she agreed to be on TV looking like that! Even when she had her makeover, the poor teeth were still there, and ruined the new look (in my opinion). :(

I don't think there is any doubt how important a pretty smile is to someone's overall appearance!
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

jrbecca

#6 Post by jrbecca »

I agree with you, Flora. I don't think people have to have beautiful teeth in order to feel beautiful and comfortable in their own skin. I just really related with this woman.

I've stood in front of my own mirror after dressing nicely for a job interview. I felt confident and ready until I practiced my "nice to meet you" smile and suddenly the polished picture I saw in the mirror just seconds prior is flawed.

You know, now that I'm only two days away from getting braces, I'm starting to realize how much my teeth have affected my self-confidence. It makes me slightly sad to realize this, but totally excited at the same time.

In two days, I'll be starting a new chapter in my life, one that I know will be defined by a radiant smile and profoundly improved self-confidence.

Gosh, I don't think the next 24 hours can pass quickly enough!! +\+

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

jrbecca - let us know how it goes with the braces in less than 24 hours from now!!! Make sure to eat a lof of hard/crunchy things before you get the braces ( you have 24 hrs!!) ;) I wish i would have done that as i miss eating chips, chocolate and things like that SO much... ;);)

~~~~~~

SueFromNJ

Where you come from makes a huge difference!

#8 Post by SueFromNJ »

I do think where you are from affects how we perceive the "flaw" of less than perfect teeth. I kid you not, there are parts of the USA where you really don't see any professional adults with bad teeth. You just don't. And there are places where EVERY kid gets braces, as only perfection will do. And in the USA especially, the perfect blaring-white straight-tooth smile is the expected norm. It is splattered all over the media - you barely see anyone in the media/tv with bad teeth. Everyone has to have that perfect smile, or you are "not as good" as everyone else. That is the message I get around here, loud and clear!

I completely agree with jrbecca - having the less-than-perfect-smile really does negative things to your self-confidence when you are made so aware of your imperfections when compared to everyone around you. :(
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

weird_wired

#9 Post by weird_wired »

I totally understand what you mean.

It may be that this woman isn't much of a smiler, but sounds more likely that she has learnt a habit of hiding her teeth, which indicates that she isn't happy with them.

I don't think that having straight teeth makes anyone more of a beautiful person, but cosmetically they have an impact.

Also: if one is worried or uncomfortable about any feature, it shows in the less confidence they have (even if they are mistaken about their "flaws", like anorexics). That is what you saw as "missing" - it was her confidence, and 100% happiness.

bbsadmin

#10 Post by bbsadmin »

I never realized how bad my teeth really looked until I got those dreaded photos at the beginning of my treatment. I think a lot of people with crooked teeth are just used to seeing themselves that way. Also, as you all know, it's a huge emotional and financial leap to get work done on your teeth (whether it's with braces or veneers), and a lot of people just aren't ready or willing to do it.

I don't think that everyone should have a cookie-cutter smile, but certainly if the teeth greatly detract from the face, it would be better to do something about them, if a person can afford to.

I never paid much attention to people's teeth before I started my treatment. Now of course it seems to be one of the first things I notice about a person. Some "defects" are actually distinctive -- think of many celebrities who have gaps, for instance. But extreme crookedness or overbites usually look bad, not distinctive, IMO.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

luxekitty

#11 Post by luxekitty »

I think, as it's been said, it depends on the person completely. There's people that smile and have endless confidence even with not-so-perfect teeth. But I myself am one of these people jrbecca speaks of.

I could be wearing the most fabulous clothes, having the perfect hair day, walking down the street feeling amazing in a pair of fabulous sunglasses and I still wouldn't do an open mouth smile..no way, no how. Because of this I am often mistaken for being snobby, unfriendly..etc.

I'm really sick and tired of this smile!!

But wearing braces, even though I have the same teeth has given me the slightest bit more confidence..so I smile a little more...and I talk a little less concealing my teeth. For the longest time I thought HAVING the best clothes etc was what I needed to "feel beter about myself" but now I realize that 1. its on the inside and 2. being able to smile will be more valuble then any handbag. :)

More smiles like this please!!!
http://images16.fotki.com/v273/photos/1 ... 185-vi.jpg

//end rambling :oops:
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesslzz 01

#12 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Good for you, luxekitty! Great pics!

I'm feeling the same about the extra confidence braces are giving me...even though I'm in braces for less than 10 days! It feels a lot better to know that your new smile is "under construction" and you can now start to build a new, improved, and lasting self confidence...

Great post, jrbecca. I think the same as you about that woman on tv. Now we are in this road, it is easy to know when a person hides his or her smile. Most of us have been there, too...
Good luck on your B-day and keep us posted!!!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!