Silly little question...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

#1 Post by ssfw »

I like these type of questions - it's interesting how people make certain decisions (and sometimes our reasoning makes no sense but 'so what' as long as it doesn't hurt others).

Based on your question, I would make my next appt. more towards the 4 weeks and choosing a day that fits around my work schedule at that time.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Will

#2 Post by Will »

what does a**e mean?
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

my first adjustment is 4 weeks after having gotten my braces...my ortho pretty much gave me within that week to come back as my adjustments are every 4 weeks

but i would also do them every 4 weeks regardless...just because i think (or i like to believe) that the treatment will end faster

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Cissa

#4 Post by Cissa »

I'd do 4 weeks. The more often you can go back for adjustments, the quicker it will be.

In theory.

Eleni

#5 Post by Eleni »

Will wrote:what does a**e mean?
It is a delicate way of typing: a-r-s-e
Also referred to as gluteus maximus, booty, and many many other descriptive epithets.

To answer the question:
If your schedule is open - take the earliest date you can
If your schedule is complex - take the date you can fit in

Why make it such a hard decision?
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

I always try to make it as close to the 4 week mark as I can. It's sooner that something new and probably painful will happen, but mostly it's the whole lig thing. I just know that in 4 weeks, I will be dying to get different colored ligs and those 2 extra weeks will just kill me. ;)

I've had to go the 6 weeks a few times before and it really did feel like a lot longer.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have to go every 2 weeks, so I try to have a standing Friday morning appointment. I have thought about changing that because I have been very sore on some weekends, but then again I have lost 25 pounds since September.....so I'll just keep it this way I guess.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find it strange he would say 4-6 weeks. I usually get told the exact amt of weeks... generally 8, but sometimes 4 or 6 (all depending on where I'm at I guess).
But if for some reason he is on a conference the week I'm due to go back I always pick the week before in the hope it will speed things along.
Also, I try to pick times I think he will be least busy e.g. during school hrs.

weird_wired

#9 Post by weird_wired »

Oh exactly in four weeks. As early as possible ;)

dena

#10 Post by dena »

my ortho said 4-6 weeks...my first appt will be in 5 weeks because the ortho will be out of town the week before. I intend to always be back in 4 weeks and only rely on 5-6 when I have to (I probably have to travel for school this summer, so that's what I mean.) They told me that going every 6 weeks would make treatment longer than every 4 weeks.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

IndyBraceFace

#11 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I always go with the earlier appointment. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm impatient. I also like it because I'm really curious about my progress and I have a million questions. So far, my appointments are every three weeks.

Evelyn

#12 Post by Evelyn »

At the beginning I would always go with the 6 weeks one, but now I would definatley push for 4.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Anticipator

#13 Post by Anticipator »

There's only one day of the week I can go without having to deal with requesting a day off work, and of that day there's only a half hour gap that's early enough for me.

Tuesdays at 7:30 is the appointment I choose, I let the receptionist and ortho determine how many weeks that will entail waiting.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

momof2grlz

#14 Post by momof2grlz »

My ortho never gives me a spread. He always says "8 weeks", "6 weeks", etc. They usually schedule me exactly 8 weeks from the day that I'm there. I'd rather have appointments more often if it would help speed things along, but I've been told that slow and steady is more effective for adults - not so much chance of root damage. So, it's turtle speed for me!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

mtbrncofn

#15 Post by mtbrncofn »

Way Too Old For This wrote: I have thought about changing that because I have been very sore on some weekends, but then again I have lost 25 pounds since September.....so I'll just keep it this way I guess.
Congrats on this WTOFT! I'm insanely jealous, mind you, but hooray for you!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.