Lip sores - HELP!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chocoholic

Lip sores - HELP!

#1 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey All,

I've been really silly! I had some dry skin on my lips and I know I shouldn't have but I know we're all tempted to pull it and I did. The skin came off my bottom lip but pulled just slightly into my mouth and now it's a really bad sore with an ulcer. It's so painful and my braces are rubbing on it a treat. Nothing I put on it seems to help with the pain and everytime I think it's getting a bit better, my braces catch and it all goes bad again.

I now have another sore just along from it and it makes me look like I;ve been punched in the lips - nice image hey!

Any ideas? :cry:

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

Maybe put some wax on the brackets until it COMPLETELY heals?
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

You'll be fine. But yes it hurts. I used to get chapped lips so badly I would smile and they would crack and bleed. Ouch. And yes, hard to resist picking the skin off.

- Missing Tooth -

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Chocoholic,

If any of the other remedies posted don't help, I always use a product called Glyoxide - it's great for cold sores. You're suppose to place it in your mouth and swish it in your mouth with your saliva - it seems to expedite the healing process - it's kind of pricey but worth it and you're only using a few drops at a time. Since the sore is on you lip, just place a few drops right on the sore and let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse it off with water - it really works.

If any of the products listed is a gel-like product that may be a bit easier to use on your lip. I just know Glyoxide does wonders.

If your lips get dry often and you don't like to use chapstick or lip balm try moisturizing it with some hand lotion - I do this and it helps alot. This happened after I got my expander placed the other day - I don't know why but from what KK indicated in another post, it's common for that to happen.

Good luck.

P.S. Just seeing your user name reminds me that I should have had filled my chocolate craving before I got my expander placed the other day. I'm not saying I won't eat any chocolate until I get my braces off but I do know I will eat it sparingly.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Thanks for all the tips guys, really appreciate it!

It's starting to get alot better at last. You know I discovered a really weird thing though. I've had a cold and a bit of flu and have been using Lemsip to ease the symtoms, and it makes the sore go completely numb. I guess it must be something to do with the paracetamol in it, so I crushed some up and dissolved it in warm water and swished it over the sores - voila! Pain gone, swelling going, amazing.

The things you discover hey?

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

I live in the UK and theres a product called blistex healing, its great for dry chapped sore lips like yours and mine right now.

Try using a moisturiser live vaseline every day to prevent lips getting like that.

Jodster

#7 Post by Jodster »

One thing that I take on a daily basis, even if I don't have any sores is L-Lysine. It is in the vitamins/minerals section of your grocery store or pharmacy and it is an amino acid supplement for improving skin's appearance and healing properties. My ortho reccomended it and I used to take it when I would get cold sores.
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!