Braced Bride

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ebjones1

Braced Bride

#1 Post by ebjones1 »

Ok, so I took the dive into my super long braces process back in October.. I've invested a lot of time and money into this and there is no way I'm looking back - But there's a glitch. I got engaged over the holidays, and will be getting married in July. Fully braced. :shock:
I'm not really upset about it, just a little unsure what everyone else will think. I have to get full metal b/c my doc said that he's scared the ceramics won't hold up with all of the pushing and pulling he's gonna do with elastics.
Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? Like I said, I don't really care - If I waited to get the braces I really wouldn't be smiling. I was just curious how others reacted to it. By the way - I'm set to be braced this Thursday (the 26th)..!

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Congratulations on starting your journey(s)! I wouldn't give being braced for my wedding a second thought - except maybe for the photographs. Having ceramics, I know that they hardly show at all except in extreme closeups. I'm not sure how much metals might show. This topic has been posted before and someone on the board mentioned having a professional airbrush the braces out of the photos.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

LizzyG

#3 Post by LizzyG »

Congratulations!

I am getting braces on 10th February, metal Damons, and I am also getting married on 8th July this year! So will be in braces for the wedding. I'm not worried, because I'd rather look back at the braces than my horrible teeth, but my family think I am bonkers.

Someone on here suggested that we get the photographer to edit the braces out of the photo's, I don't know if it will work or not but will mention it to him.

What date are you getting married?

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

jrbecca

#4 Post by jrbecca »

I'm in the same boat! I was braced Jan. 28 and will still be in braces on my wedding day - April 21, 2007!

I, too, have metal braces. I don't anticipate them to show up too much in the photographs, but I've been asking different photographers if they can retouch the negatives to take the braces out. All have said yes--one will do it for free, another will charge $30 per retouch! :shock:

It's so nice to know that I won't be the only braced bride. Like you, I was already dreading wedding pictures with my crooked teeth. By the time my wedding rolls around, I expect my teeth will look absolutely lovely, braces and all!

Please join me on my orthodontic journey at: http://jrbecca.blogspot.com/

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

It will be very easy to get the braces airbrushed out, if that is what you want. I think it's what I would probably want, to be honest.

So you can enjoy the day knowing you will have perfect Hollywood teeth in the pics even if you had spinach stuck there all day!

Congrats and have a great day ;)

sleater

#6 Post by sleater »

Hey ebjones1!

Congrads on the Wedding!

I get braced in less than 2 weeks (metal upper and lower) and am getting Married August 18th. I wouldn't worry about having braces for the wedding. Personally I never even thought about it until my Dentist brought up with my partner. He asked her whether I'd be cool with having braces for the wedding? Other then my dentist no one else has seemed concerned about it. Even if they do though....if you're not worried about it then that's all that matters. I am going to be much happier having straight teeth then the crowded mess that I currently have. Our photographer who is using digital, also brought up photoshopping out my braces. She is going to play around with them and give me examples of with and without.

Take care!

Whitney

wedding day

#7 Post by Whitney »

Congrats. on both your engagement and your courage to finally have the braces.
What does your fiance say? I am also getting married and will still have the braces. I NEVER smiled before them and my teeth already look better with them than without.
I am planning to smile at my wedding and have an "anniversary photo" taken later on when they are finally off.
Best wishes
Whit

BlueeyedManda

#8 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I am also going to be a braced bride, although I am keeping my fingers crossed that they may be off by then. I was engaged over the holidays and we are planning a May 2007 wedding. I got my uppers last Feb but my lowers were put on just 3 weeks ago and I was told it would be a year and half before I was done. So maybe with alot of wishing they will be off. If not, they are ceramic and do not show up that much. If anything my smile looks better now with the braces than it ever did before.

noppi

Hmm

#9 Post by noppi »

Interesting that so many people are in this situation. I just got braced recently, and am not engaged yet, but hopefully will be soon, and will probably still be in braces at the time of the wedding. However, during my consultation, after the Ortho told me the duration, I was like, "How long?" And he said 2 yrs. And I was like :shock: because I didn't think my teeth would take that long - I still dont' think it'll take that long. But he said that they can remove the brackets minus the metal bands, polish my teeth and be good to go for wedding, and then put them back on. Has anyone else's ortho mentioned that? No extra charge since I already paid it all. But gosh what a hassle! And then I'd probably want to leave for honeymoon.

I guess having braces and a wedding isn't THAT big of a deal. It's probably more a big deal for the bride than anyone else. Is it possible that any of you would be moving your wedding date until they're off? That'd be annoying.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

ebjones1

#10 Post by ebjones1 »

Thanks for everyone's responses! It's always nice to hear stories from people in the same boat as you..
Well, the good thing is that I did hire a digital photographer who is amazing at retouches.. I also like the idea (I'm sorry I forgot who said it) about getting an "anniversary" photo. :D
My fiance doesn't mind the braces.. and a friend of mine who saw my dress said, "Honey, you don't have to worry about them looking at your teeth - They're gonna be looking straight at that gorgeous dress!" - so that made me feel a bit better about it. Like I said, it's not that I'm really worried about it, I just know that the initial reaction from other people has been a little weird when I've mentioned it.
Thanks guys!! :wink:

rangerchic

I think

#11 Post by rangerchic »

You can have your tops taken off just for the weekend and then put back on! Or you can do the airbrush thing! Good luck!

RC

OneBluCrayon

#12 Post by OneBluCrayon »

Wow, its pretty cool knowing so many others are going to be braced brides.... I am getting married in April so I will have braces AND my fiance is getting his braces put on in Feb/Mar, so he will ALSO be in braces.... No big deal to either of us, and i think the fact that both of us will be in braces makes the other feel better about the situation.

I went to the USMC Ball this year with Orange and Yellow ligs (i have ceramics) and in the pictures you can hardly even tell that i have braces unless you look at the pictures close up. I am also going to go with a light color, like baby blue or pearl, so that its not so noticable.

Congradulations to all the soon to be brides....and grooms if there are any of you out there... :D
If you're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!
Banded: Dec 24, 2004

Indy

#13 Post by Indy »

I will have braces soon and will be married in a little more than a year from now, which will put me half way through my treatment. My fiancé plans on getting braces too (if he can figure out how to fit it in w/ medical school). The other day he said he doesn't want to wait too long because then I'll have straighter teeth than him :lol:

2/10/006: 4 upper spacers