What site to buy your own ligs from??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rangerchic

What site to buy your own ligs from??

#1 Post by rangerchic »

I want different colors then what the ortho has, so I am gonna buy my own and have them put them on!!!

RC

Chr1ssy711

#2 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

i bought them from jawproducts.com they have other great products too!
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

NotBob1

#3 Post by NotBob1 »

Meryaten is right, however, I don't think that buying ones own elastics/ligs in the colors they want and -bringing them into the office- to have them put on is so bad. I suppose you could run into issues of the elastic/lig quality, brand, size, etc.

I would ask them first.

I went to the J.A.W. website that Chrissy711 suggested. I think it's kind of cool that they have a section for the patients to buy colored elastics, etc. It looks like they also supply other stuff for the professionals. I doubt that they would sell any of that to the public. I hope. Ofcourse I think you can get surgical instruments from eBay. ScarrrrrrEEEE!!!

When it comes time for my elastics (which is soon as the vast majority of my treatment includes them.) I would probably try some of the neon colors for fun! If she doesn't stock them and I get the O.K. from her, I might get some.....Thanks for the link, Chrissy!

My two cents.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Kittysopretty

#4 Post by Kittysopretty »

JAW products uses the same ligs (o-rings) my ortho uses and he had no problems with me changing my own ligs. I simply got sick of worrying about it and went with wire ties. If colors are what you want, JAW has every color imagineable!!

Crowded Mouth

#5 Post by Crowded Mouth »

Hey... I am thinking of buying some ligatures from Jaw Products.. how do you know what strength to buy.. they vary?

NotBob1

#6 Post by NotBob1 »

I believe Ligatures do not come in varying strenghts. But I could be wrong. Here is what I would do:

Print the page from the website describing the products, take it with you to your next appointment and ask the Orthodontist if you can order some of these in the colors you want and if he/she will be willing to use them or not.

If they say no, and give you a reason why not, then roll with it. Different orthos have different plans, brackets, tools, etc.
Pat

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I do not recommend that people buy and change ligatures themselves. You can really mess up your treatment by putting too much pressure on your teeth in unintended ways. This is why I do not carry ligs or rubber bands on the DentaKit.com site.

But if you are stubborn and decide to take fate into your own hands, you should ALWAYS first ask your orthodontist if it's OK for you to change ligs yourself.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

Agreed.
Pat

Michal

#9 Post by Michal »

Ditto

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

jawproducts

#10 Post by jawproducts »

NotBob1 wrote:Meryaten is right, however, I don't think that buying ones own elastics/ligs in the colors they want and -bringing them into the office- to have them put on is so bad. I suppose you could run into issues of the elastic/lig quality, brand, size, etc.

I would ask them first.

I went to the J.A.W. website that Chrissy711 suggested. I think it's kind of cool that they have a section for the patients to buy colored elastics, etc. It looks like they also supply other stuff for the professionals. I doubt that they would sell any of that to the public. I hope. Ofcourse I think you can get surgical instruments from eBay. ScarrrrrrEEEE!!!

When it comes time for my elastics (which is soon as the vast majority of my treatment includes them.) I would probably try some of the neon colors for fun! If she doesn't stock them and I get the O.K. from her, I might get some.....Thanks for the link, Chrissy!

My two cents.
Hello! We are the owners of jawproducts.com and just saw the post and wanted to let you know that we do sell to the public and not just professionals. We do not recommend you changing your ties yourself. IF you need to order you can order on our site :-)
www.jawproducts.com
We do NOT recommend changing ties yourself -please follow the advice of your orthodontist.