PHEW!!! I DID IT...ITS OVER

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Aurelia

PHEW!!! I DID IT...ITS OVER

#1 Post by Aurelia »

Got my top brace tonight :D

After months of deliberation I finally took the plunge, admittedly I've had a lot of stomach churning and nerves over the last couple of weeks and sleepless nights and decision worries but honestly I neednt have worried so much, I am so shocked as to how painless and quick the procedure was for me.

Got to my Orthos at 6pm after work, he asked if I was ok and would I like a cup of tea and a chill out before we began, he knew I was worried and anxious about it all so he got one of his assistants to get me a cuppa and a good mag to read and they left me alone for a while, he came back in and said ok ready to go, trust me on this its gonna be fine, so I let him do his work. The whole procedure took about 20 mins, I think he must have numbed my top teeth slightly as I didnt feel a thing, only slight pressure when he put the archwire in at the end. The lip spreader thing was really no big deal and didnt bother me at all. He showed me how to brush the brackets, told me about food I could and could not eat and gave me a goodie bag which contained a toothbrush, lots of wax, mouthwash etc, all the essentials.

I gotta say that my mouth at the moment feels 10 times its normal size and the brackets themselves feel HUGE but my partner says he doesnt really notice them until I really smile, he says he is proud of me for being brave and finally doing what I have really always wanted to do.

I have had mash and cold meat for my dinner, hmmm this was defo a task but got there slowly, I have no pain at the mo other than a slight throbbing sensation in my teeth.

All in all I am glad this first hurdle is over, now I feel excited and cant wait for the year to be over.

This forum has been such a great help to me in the lead up to me getting my brace, I'm so glad I discovered it. I really hope my journey will help those who are also nervous about the whole thing.

I will post a pic up very shortly.

:D :D

Granola

#2 Post by Granola »

Congratulations on getting your top brace. What a great thing that it went much better than you expected, and that you didn't experience any great discomfort. It is always a good thing when things are worse in our minds than in actuality! It sounds like your ortho is very nice and cares about patients, also a good thing.

Can't wait to see pics.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Lin

#3 Post by Lin »

Congrats Aurelia!! :) I'm just starting out too, so I can understand the nerves. Sounds like you did beautifully! And now you only have to wait for that beautiful smile to come into place.

I wish you luck along your journey!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Aurelia,

Congratulations on getting your braces! I'm glad everything went well and better than you expected. Your orthodontist sounds like a very caring person - mine is great too. Because of this trait, I feel very comfortable asking him/assistant any questions that comes to mind regarding my ortho treatment. Better to get the quesions answered at your appts. rather than dwell and tell yourself that you should have asked the questions at your last appt.

Are you one of the lucky perople that just need upper braces? How long is your ortho treatment and what type of correction needs to be done?

I hope the rest of your ortho treatment goes well.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

Congrats on getting your top braces. Just like everyone else said, your ortho seems very caring...that's good :) I'm really glad things went so well for you.

Are you going to be getting bottom braces at some point?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missing_tooth

#6 Post by missing_tooth »

Congradulations!!! Braces are probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. Just think, one day your going to be walking out of the ortho office with a beautiful smile.

- Missing Tooth -

LizzyG

#7 Post by LizzyG »

Congratulations!!! :D

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

3n1believer

#8 Post by 3n1believer »

Partners are great, aren't they? My husband and I were having a serious conversation the other night and every time he'd look at me, he'd laugh. He said with my swollen lips I looked like I was tough enough to beat someone up. It made me smile and get some comic relief from the whole process.

Congrats on making it through the big step!

Ceramic uppers and lowers
My 30th birthday present to myself was braces!

Aurelia

#9 Post by Aurelia »

Wow thanks everybody for all your support and best wishes, it really means a lot to me :D

Well I have woken up today feeling not too bad altho eating breakfast was a nightmare, I had to kinda suck some bread and butter, my front teeth are aching a lot so cant bite my top and bottom together. Must admit tho I woke up several times in the night and felt a but panicky, today I keep having moments of arrghhh get them off me which I hope is going to pass. It's just that my mouth feels bulky and I hate the fact that I can feel the brackets inside my top lip, blurgh! I am also talking as if I have a slight lisp.

ssfw wrote:
Are you one of the lucky people that just need upper braces? How long is your ortho treatment and what type of correction needs to be done?
Well my Ortho initially costed out treatment just for the top and then he said I can do you a really good discount if you want the bottom ones done as well, my bottom teeth are no way as bad as my top, they are only slightly wonky so if I do decide to have them done I think I will wait as he says it wont take long to correct them. My treatment for my top teeth is going to take between 9 months to one year, the correction that needs to be done is to close a large gap between my 2 front teeth and correct several rotated teeth on the sides, one of which needs to be brought forward in line with the others.

3n1believer wrote:
Partners are great, aren't they? My husband and I were having a serious conversation the other night and every time he'd look at me, he'd laugh. He said with my swollen lips I looked like I was tough enough to beat someone up. It made me smile and get some comic relief from the whole process.
awww bless at least you can have a good laugh about it :lol: . I think its important to do that, to be honest I could not have done this without my partners support.

Thanks all, I wish you all good luck and success as well. :D
All good things come to those that wait

chrisd

#10 Post by chrisd »

CONGRATS!!!
very cool news. i hope things are going welll on day two ;-)
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Kell

#11 Post by Kell »

Aurelia wrote:I keep having moments of arrghhh get them off me which I hope is going to pass. It's just that my mouth feels bulky and I hate the fact that I can feel the brackets inside my top lip, blurgh! I am also talking as if I have a slight lisp.
I promise you it will get better. I've only had mine on for a week as of today and starting a few days ago I have even started to forget they are even on. Now when it's time to eat I am reminded they are there but every day gets better and better. The difference every day in the things I can chew is amazing to me.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Aurelia

#12 Post by Aurelia »

Kell Wrote:
I promise you it will get better. I've only had mine on for a week as of today and starting a few days ago I have even started to forget they are even on. Now when it's time to eat I am reminded they are there but every day gets better and better. The difference every day in the things I can chew is amazing to me.
Thanks Kell, its good to hear that and great that you are now getting used to them in your first week. I am so going to be counting down the days tho to getting them off :D I checked our your photos, I dont think your teeth are going to take long to straighten. Your top brace is hardly noticeable at all.

Good luck for tomorrow Chris, hope it all goes well for you :wink:

ssfw

#13 Post by ssfw »

Hi Aurelia,

I'm glad you are doing well. I haven't eaten alot of bread since I got my expander, it seems to get stuck under my expander. You will find a comfortable spot(s) in your mouth that are good for chewing and you will find which foods are easier to eat, but remember as you get use to the braces you will probably be able to eat more of your usual favorites, except alot of hard and chewy things - so what you may have some difficulty eating this week may not give you any problem a month from now.

In regards to ortho treatment for your lower braces, something that you have plenty of time to think about, I think if you can afford it financially, then proceed with the ortho treatment. Once you have braces, adding the lower will not bother you, yes it will probably extend the ortho treatment by maybe a year (?), but in the years to come you will be glad that you did it.

Take care and keep us posted.

ssfw
Aurelia wrote: ssfw wrote:
Are you one of the lucky people that just need upper braces? How long is your ortho treatment and what type of correction needs to be done?
Well my Ortho initially costed out treatment just for the top and then he said I can do you a really good discount if you want the bottom ones done as well, my bottom teeth are no way as bad as my top, they are only slightly wonky so if I do decide to have them done I think I will wait as he says it wont take long to correct them. My treatment for my top teeth is going to take between 9 months to one year, the correction that needs to be done is to close a large gap between my 2 front teeth and correct several rotated teeth on the sides, one of which needs to be brought forward in line with the others.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Kell

#14 Post by Kell »

Aurelia wrote:Thanks Kell, its good to hear that and great that you are now getting used to them in your first week. I am so going to be counting down the days tho to getting them off :D I checked our your photos, I dont think your teeth are going to take long to straighten. Your top brace is hardly noticeable at all.
Yep, I'm lucky I don't have too much to fix so the ortho says 6 months for the top and a year for the bottom. I'll plan on a bit longer but hopefully it won't be much longer than that. Too bad that the cost is the same whether you have a lot to fix or just a little to fix. :) I was happy with the top teeth even though they are slightly turned but they were hitting the bottom so he needed to do everything at once to get it right. I'm happy so far. I still can't wait to be done but a year is nothing to me these days, even two years would just fly by.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Aurelia

#15 Post by Aurelia »

Thats really great Kell, I really hope you get the results that you are aiming for. For me, to be able to smile with confidence would be amazing, I always have to think before I do, also depends on whose company I am in and who I feel comfortable with, I am hoping that my new smile 9 months or a year from now will replace all that negativity I have always felt since a child.
Last edited by Aurelia on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those that wait