I NEED PROTEIN AND VEGGIES!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gypsydoodlebug

I NEED PROTEIN AND VEGGIES!!!

#1 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

So I can't eat. I've come to grips with my liquid/smushy-food diet, but I know I'm not getting enough protein or veggies. Basically, I can't eat anything beyond the consistency of mashed potatoes because I have two HUGE build-ups on my up left molars to keep my teeth from crashing down on one another (I have a 100 percent overbite) and I can't chew at all.

The only protein I'm getting is: finely ground hamburger (I cook it, then grind it between by hands repeatedly until it's very fine; peanut butter sandwiches with the crusts cut off and eggs.

The only veggies I'm getting are those found in soups and wilted spinach. And the olives out of martinis, but I don't think those count, do they? :wink:

On the plus, I'm down 8 lbs. in two weeks!! :thumbsup:

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Remember, I can't chew AT ALL. I'm taking a multivitamin to help.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

fins

#2 Post by fins »

If you can't chew try the protein drinks, I think ensure is one. When you get some chewing ability back, you might consider buying a food processor for grinding up meat and whatever else you want. It will help.

IndyBraceFace

#3 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Beans are an excellent source of protein and cooked beans can easily be mashed. In addition, if you can tolerate it, vegetable juice (e.g., V8) is a good source of vitamins, but I wouldn't drink a lot of it because it contains a lot of salt. Cooked corn, French style green beans, and peas are all soft veggies that would go down easy. I relied heavily on all of the above when I couldn't chew!

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

I don't think I can help on the protein, but on the veggie side --

There are a lot of veggies that are good when they are baked and kind of mushy, but not to the soup consistency. I like baked potatoes (regular and sweet), baked squashes (especially butternut). I also like eggplant, including eggplant parmesan which would give you some protein from cheese. And, eggplant parmesan is best when there's a lot of melted cheese. In the mixed protein and veggie line, you could try souffle. I think someone mentioned that frozen-type spinach souffle is a good choice. Smaller pastas, like shells and couscous, would be good choices, too. Some of these can be protein-enriched and/or whole wheat.

For protein, there are also the other dairy categories - yogurt, cheeses, cottage cheese, ricotta (lasagna is good and you could make a veggie lasagna to get both). And, my personal favorite - ICE CREAM! Not sure how much protein is in ice cream, but it does make me feel better.

P.S. Can you tell that I like to cook and eat?

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hi, another soft vegetable is cabbage. It is really good if you fry it on the stove in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, until soft and mushy. Tastes really yummy!

Also I would recommend buying some of the protein powder at like GNC. They have the unflavored stuff that you can add to just about anything like juice, pudding, oatmeal, etc, AND they have flavored ones like "strawberry banana" and "Vanilla" that work great in like fruit and ice cream smoothies etc. I've heard that Carnation instant breakfast is a good think to drink or add to smoothies too! Has lots of vitamins and protein added to it also. Soups are great too....you can make really good bean and barley type soups that are really good and filling too! Good luck and I hope this helps some!

Brandy

I borrowed these recipes from the orthnathic surgery forum on yahoo
Blueberry-Mango Breakfast Shake from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2006 4 x 1cup 1.5 cups frozen blueberries, 1 cup refrigerated mango slices, 1 cup silken soft tofu, 1 cup orange juice, 3 Tbs. honey Combine all ingredients in blender and process until smooth   5 min

Pumkin Pie Shake from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2006 4 2 cups vanilla ice cream, 1 cup milk, 2/3 cup canned pumpkin, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice blend   5 min Edit  Delete
Shake This shake is VERY good. :) 1 1 packet Carnation Instant Breakfast Vanilla, Whole Milk, Breyers Ice Cream Fill a large glass 1/2 with ice-cream, add a little milk to make a milkshake, using a spoon to mix. After mostly mixed add 1 packet Carnation Instant Breakfast. (yahoo: vogtd) 25% of just about every vitamin/protein you need. 2 minutes

Strawbery Peach Smoothie mm mm good one 3 strawberries, half of a banana, a package of peaches in light syrup, and ice put the strawberries, banana half, and peaches (with syrup) in blender, add ice--two pieces at a time--probably 3 times   30 seconds, but cleanup...? Edit  Delete
avacoda & banana puree good for a energy boost in morning   1 banana 1 avacodo milk to thin mash banana and avacodo and add milk to thin . viola breakfast rich source of fiber, folican, b12,vitamin c, and vitamin e

butternut squash and apple really good   1lb butternut squash and 1 apple peeled and cored and sliced steam squash for about 7 min, add apple and steam for 10 more min blend smooth and thin with milk or water beta carotene, fibre, folic acid and vitamin c 20 min

cod with trio of vegetables a little work but worth the effort for something other than soup   1/4lb of potatos peeled & chopped , 1 cup sliced carrots, 125g cod(or other white fish), 1/2cup milk, 1 tbsp butter 1 tomato chopped 1. boil veggies in water boil reduce heat cook 20 min, 2. at same time put fish in pan with pepper and salt cover with milk and poach about 5-8 min. strain milk and reserve 3. melt butter in pan add tomato saute until mushy, flake fish, mix veggie, fish and tomato and puree. add reserved milk to thin. good source of protien, folacin, beta carotene, b12 and c - 10 min prep 25 cook time

lentil &veggie puree     2 tbsp butter, 125 g leeks, 2 tbsp chopped celery, 1cup chopped carrots, half cup of red lentils,half pound of sweet potatospeeled&chopped, 1 bay leaf, 2cups chicken stock melt butter in sauce pan,add leeks saute for 3 min, stir in celery carrots and lentils cook for 2 min, add sweet potatoand bay leaf cover with stock, bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. remove bay leaf .puree and thin as desire beta carotene, fibre, folic acid,proyien and vitamin c -10 prep 35 cook time

peanut butter smoothie   makes one smoothie 1 cup cold milk, 1 ripe banana & 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter In a blender, combine ingredients and process until smooth. 430 cal, 16 g protein, 45 g carbs, 21 g fat- 5 minutes

tomato and cauliflower gratin you can freeze this dish and pop some out when needed   2 cups cauliflower, 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 lb tomatos peeled chopped, 1/4 cup cheese steam cauliflower at same time melt butter in pan add tomato and saute untill mushy, remove from heat and add cheese. stir to melt cheese. mix all ingredients in blender.thin as desired protien, calcium, folic acid, b12, c, beta carotene - 5 min prep 15 cook

tomato juice yummy...   2 ripe tomatoes blend tomatoes in water. you may add a pinch of salt & pepper. vit c, fibre

yogurt smoothie     1 cup yogurt, banana , frozen peaches,(or any other fruit you like) 2 tbs nonfat dry skim milk powder and 1cup of milk blend enjoy good calcium, protien, carbs

krennen

#6 Post by krennen »

I am still unable to chew well myself. For me a little food processor has been the difference. I grind up all my meat--cooked pork, ham, hot dog etc. At least this way I am fixing only one meal that my husband and I can both eat. His is served regular and mine is ground up. Cooked cauliflower is good--it can be mashed with a fork. Cooked beans and black eyed peas, the same way. I did buy some V8 drink that has vegetables and fruit juice--very tasty. I love sweet potatoes too. Canned tuna has been good also. I may have blobs on the plate, but at least I feel like I'm "eating" and not just drinking everything. It has shown me how much the enjoyment of eating comes from the chewing of your food. Hopefully this won't last long for either of Us!!!

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

I opted for a blender in which I put spinach, pinto beans and apple juice. Makes a good vegetable drink and provides most of nutrients you'll need. But like KK said, a multivitamin is also a good addition.

gypsydoodlebug

#8 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I'm not much of a cook, but I think some of these are doable! Thanks, guys!

I don't have a food processor –– may be something we need to invest in for the kitchen. I am DYING for pizza, so I think we're going to get some delivery kind tonight and maybe I can scrape out enough to be able to eat.

I usually eat Cream of Wheat in the morning. For lunch, it's a bowl of soup (Butternut Squash soup today) and a peanut butter sandwich with the crusts cut off.

For dinner last night, I ate an enchilada with beef –– it was finely ground so I could just swallow it whole if I took small bites. I've printed out these recipes/suggestions to hit the grocery store this weekend.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

braceface1230

#9 Post by braceface1230 »

One thing that hasn't been suggested, that I think was the life saver for me was, a juicer. Food processors and blenders are good, but they give the finished result a very thick consistency, which to me can be a little gross.

I actually bought mine a year before I even thought about braces, but has come in more handy than I could've imagined. I wouldn't recommend protein shakes. I used to use them, they are a waist of money and there are too many strange ingredients. Plus, you'd be very surprised by just HOW good a lot of these veggies and fruits taste in their juiced form. Carrots are awesome juiced! And the combinations are endless.

I wouldn't worry too much about the protein. If you're a milk drinker, you'll get plenty right there. Also, cottage cheese and yogurt have plenty. Scrambled eggs are also very soft and loaded with it. Many other foods you wouldn't even think of having protein, do in fact. Besides, your teeth are probably only going to be sore for a day or two after adjustments, so you'll be able eat pretty normal in no time. Good luck.

airxjordan24

#10 Post by airxjordan24 »

buy some whey protein mix and make some smoothies and shakes. throw in some nice fruit's, some ice and milk into a blender, and you got yourself a not so bad tasting meal :D

Leslie022

#11 Post by Leslie022 »

Yep, Carnation Instant Breakfast is very yummy. I drink it two or three times a day. I'm out right now and it's driving me crazy! You might want to try some V8 or V8-splash drinks. Plenty of fruits and vegetables in that! You also might want to make smoothies or get a juicer or something.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top