My First...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aims

My First...

#1 Post by aims »

It's been 2 weeks, and I've got my first canker sore..I HATE IT! I could handle the constant rubbing of the ends of the wires against the insides of my mouth, my tongue getting blisters from the molar bands, the chapped lips, but...this canker sore is by far worse than all of it.
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

I felt the same way also. I thought it'll never be over with pain. So far no pain.

Those molar bands can sure grab some skin.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

Try using Glyoxide; you can get it at the pharmacy in the dental aisle. Works wonders!

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

I got my first canker sore after using mouthwash with sodium lauryl sulfate. Well, I stopped using that pretty fast! I did use a lot more wax on the bad area until the canker sore went away.

Doesn't it seem like the canker sores you get while you have braces aren't the same as the ones that you got when you didn't have braces?

aims

#5 Post by aims »

Exactly! They really don't seem the same. And the worst thing is, I can't really prevent these in any way.

sydsmom

#6 Post by sydsmom »

aims, I'm 11 days in, and I just got my first one the other day as well :-( I used to get them *constantly* as a kid, probably from all the soda and sugar I ate :oops: ...Here's a trick I learned:

Not sure if this is good for the teeth (probably isn't!), but it sure gets rid of a canker sore FAST: get a plain old adult or baby aspirin, stick it *directly* on the canker sore, and let it melt s-l-o-w-l-y on the inside of your cheek or lip. Don't suck on it or bite it. When the aspirin is gone, you'll find that you can't feel the canker sore, and in the morning you won't even know it was ever there!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

Probably better to try that with a baby aspirin since they're smaller. You won't have to wait as long for it to dissolve.

Lyn

#8 Post by Lyn »

Hey there :heart:

I usually use something called OraStat..............it works wonderfully. It is a temporary fix, but takes out the pain for a while. :P

I had one a few weeks ago and it was so bad the glands in my jaw swelled up and then I had that pain to deal with too! It was awful. I know the pain you are going through and sympathize!!! :(

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

aims

#9 Post by aims »

Ahh..thank you all for the advice!

As far as the wax goes..I've went through almost 3 cases so far, and it just so happends that this nasty little irritation is in a spot where I can't put any wax. See, my canine teeth had to be skipped until the other teeth can be moved, so basically there is a large gap where it's just wire and I can't seem to get the wax to stick to it in any way. I even tried sticking it on the other brackets and kind of doing like a long piece of it, but it wouldn't stay on the wire.

And now, since I was so preoccupied with this one, I just discovered that I'm getting another on the other side. :(

ssfw

#10 Post by ssfw »

As mentioned in another post, Glyoxide is great for cold sores.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08