New braces today, with surprises!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

New braces today, with surprises!

#1 Post by genxsis »

Just a few hours ago, I got braced. I thought this would be the end of having new things put in my mouth, but as I mentioned before about how orthos come up with last minute surprises, they had one for me. They said they will have to install a second set of molar bands in all 4 corners of my mouth. So now I have spacers in again at the same time as the new braces. This is not something they told me about in advance.

Indeed, when the lip expander was removed, I felt the sharp brackets on my top teeth first and it was quite strange.

Now that it's all done, I can't eat anything as I can't help biting my lower lip against a bracket hook on an eye tooth, so I'm back to a liquid diet again. I can't close my mouth all the way because the upper archwire is so tight against my upper lip. Brushing is going to be quite an adventure. I also noticed when looking in the mirror that all my teeth has alot of white junk all over them and it won't rub off. What is that??? :?

Lin

#2 Post by Lin »

I had white junk all over my teeth too, when I got home after getting braced today. My guess is that it's the etchant? I very lightly used a q-tip on it and it came off.

Does your mouth taste like superglue?

I hope that your second banding goes well and that this gets easier for you!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Thanks Lin, I was wondering what that stuff was. My mouth doesn't taste like superglue, but bubblegum. They put something else on my teeth that they said would taste like that. I think they said it was flouride.

I've heard people get used to the feeling of braces in their mouth. But is it ALWAYS true? It feels pretty rotten every time I move my mouth, so I'm holding it as still as possible. I don't want to eat, smile, or talk to anyone right now. How long do you think I'll last this way? :lol:

I discovered that my lip biting is the result of one of my brackets in front catches my lip and pinches it against the tooth above. How can that be resolved? I can't remove the bracket, and I'm certainly not going to have the tooth removed! :D

fatboy

#4 Post by fatboy »

You could try wax :lol: I got my bottom teeth braced today as well... not fun! I thought that they wouldn't bother me since I have my top ones already, I was wrong. They feel really cool but weird at the same time! The strangeness for my top ones went away after 2 weeks, but it's different for everyone else so I don't know. I hope your next appointment goes well.

Lin

#5 Post by Lin »

Genxsis, I have kind of done what you have... sat here for hours not moving my mouth/jaw/teeth at all! It is a very strange feeling to have them on, not at all what I expected.

That bracket that catches your lip sounds like a real pain!! Maybe wax would help, or else see how much you are able to get used to it over the next few days. I have had a slightly different issue.. I just realized that I can't fully bite down without my top teeth hitting a bracket on the bottom teeth. As in... I can't close my bite at all! I really hope that we get used to this or that the teeth move quickly enough to stop these issues... Maybe some non-newbies have some good advice.

I get the impression that everybody reacts differently to braces. A little girl was getting braces at the exact same time as me today, and she seemed so much more sure of herself, before and after!

I hope that you can manage to eat something today!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

Shelby014

#6 Post by Shelby014 »

I know how you guys feel!! The first time my lips hit braces i was like "oh...." what have i done?! (i have had braces for a little over 4 months) At first i had the huge tin grin just because i hadn't learned the art of smiling with braces, but that wore off in a matter of days. The weird feeling of "strange objects in mouth" will usually goes away within 2 weeks, but mine went away in about 1 week. You might want to talk to someone like Lyn(n?) or evelyn, both of which have went through long sentences,(yay evelyn for your debanding date FINALLY)evelyn i think has had braces for 40 something months, so she could definetely help you more then i could, well hope this helped a bit!!
Shelby
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Kell

#7 Post by Kell »

Lin wrote:I have had a slightly different issue.. I just realized that I can't fully bite down without my top teeth hitting a bracket on the bottom teeth. As in... I can't close my bite at all! I really hope that we get used to this or that the teeth move quickly enough to stop these issues... Maybe some non-newbies have some good advice.
Well, I'm still a newbie but I have the same issue. I can't bite down because my top teeth hit the brackets on the bottom. It hasn't gone away but it's not as bothersome any more. I can chew now and have been able to since last week. It's still annoying but I guess I'm getting used to it.

Congratulations to everyone who got braces today. It got better for me quickly I think. It was less than a week and I could forget they were there for the most part. At least until it's time to eat again. I've eaten a lot of soup but I also started eating chicken and other things pretty quickly too. I hope you guys feel better quickly as well.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Orth-ohno!

Spacers

#8 Post by Orth-ohno! »

I had 8 spacers :shock: put in at the same time as my uppers. To me, those are much harder to deal with than the braces. It's now day 5 and my back teeth are still sore, but I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Unfortunately, this friday I have two of the metal spacers removed and replaced with the more traditional "rubber band" ones- which probably means I'll have to start all over again! (Those two teeth were too close together to the others to put in the rubber spacers.) Good luck!

Michal

#9 Post by Michal »

I'm having the same issue with my teeth hitting a bracket. And if I'm not careful I bite my cheek between two brackets. It's a little weird, but I'm working with it. Lots of really soft food right now. Pasta is good and so is chicken salad made in a food processer with no bread. Hope things get better. :)

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

Karen:

I got most of that white gunk cleaned off. There is still alot of the more permanent stuff around the brackets. It looks like plaque, which makes it look like I didn't brush well enough, which is not confidence inspiring for someone just getting started with brushing around braces.