Upper or Lower brace only?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tunkabean

Upper or Lower brace only?

#1 Post by Tunkabean »

Anyone here has gotten either an upper or lower brace only?

I've got the upper alone.... Is this common?

Orth-ohno!

#2 Post by Orth-ohno! »

I just got the uppers on last Friday. It will be around 3 to 6 months estimated before the lowers go on. From reading other postings on this site, that doesn't seem to be uncommon, particularly if there is an issue with the bite.

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

I have my lowers for now only, I'm not sure when I'll get my uppers. I asked my ortho and he wasn't really sure, but I know I'll get them eventually.

objectinspace

#4 Post by objectinspace »

My lower front teeth are so over-erupted the top teeth completely cover them when I bite. It's been 5 months so far on top and the ortho says next appointment there will be enough space for the lowers to go on. I think he's crazy because there is ZERO room but I'll wait until I actually don't see them fit to start freaking out... I think I'm screwed though.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

My daughter has uppers only. She got her uppers in September and will get her lowers on in April. I can think of two reasons why this will happen. 1) there is a deep bite and they want to avoid having the uppers bite off the lower bracket. Although there is a bite plate solution to this 2) The lowers needs a shorter treatment time so why bracket them earlier?

Tunkabean

#6 Post by Tunkabean »

thanks for all the replies :) Much appreciated

From what I gather, everyone's situation is temporary. I can understand the reasons why too...

In my case though, I'm just doing the upper jaw. I won't be getting a lower jaw brace @ all.... I was just wondering if people did that.

OneTime

#7 Post by OneTime »

I had the uppers put on. Then 14 days later I had the bottom put on.

My othro asked if I had time and to have the bottom put on, so this was an option and I took it. Did not want to wait for the next appointment to have the bottom put on. Which was in 4 weeks.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

momsbracesat42

Uppers/lowers

#8 Post by momsbracesat42 »

I had my uppers on Feb 18 my lowers go on March 7. My doc prefers to do it this way with everyone to let them adjust. Good thing for me. My tech put a square thicker archwire on me and after having the braces on for 7 days I had to have it changed to the round thinner archwire put on. I couldn't bite into anything even toast. Could you imagine if I have both put on at one time. Thanks doc.
----------

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I have my top ones only as well. It will be a while before I get the bottom ones because my bottom teeth aren't bad at all.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Tunkabean

#10 Post by Tunkabean »

Flora2006 wrote:I have my top ones only as well. It will be a while before I get the bottom ones because my bottom teeth aren't bad at all.
I see. I have a medical condition involving my joints and so on, so my dentist was scared about doing too much unnecessary work. This is why we opted for just a top brace, since I'm okie with my bottom teeth as they are more or less.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe later on I should get a lower brace...just to complete the whole experience. I have to see what the price factor is like too.