Bit of an Emergency

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dkt3

Bit of an Emergency

#1 Post by dkt3 »

I am hoping someone can help me fairly quickly. I have linguals but I am sure normal braces have the same problem. I was eating nuts (ok ok I know but I am careful!) and a back bracket came off. Now I have wire poking into my tongue and my appointment is 24 hours away. Tomorrow I have to talk all day. There is no way I cant. I have wax on the back but I dont think it will be tough enough if I have to talk so much. Im also worried about sleeping and waking up with a destroyed tongue.

Is there anything anyone has used that would be a bit tougher than wax. My I really dislike my braces at the moment. I dont know why I was so stupid.

dena

#2 Post by dena »

I don't know what you could use that isn't wax, but I'd call your orthodontist first thing in the morning and go from there.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

How about making a wax 'thingamagig' with those round wax ear plugs?
Get it soft and mold it to cover the inside of your teeth.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

dkt3

#4 Post by dkt3 »

Ok the story when a wire breaks... there is pretty much nothing you can do except put a silly amount of wax over it and wait until your appointment. Luckily I am all fixed now, but wasnt able to eat for 24 hours because the wire poked in too much.

I looked for anything to help. Swimmers ear wax can be toxic when cut. Foam can be inhaled even if you put wax over it. Wrapping tape (like the edge of a bandaid) around it makes the rubbing pretty bad but with wax over is a little better, but doesnt stay very well. I then looked at a tube that could cover it but again, it was the fact it coud come off in sleep and be inhaled. So pretty much there was nothing I could do. Wax did work alright, but I wasnt able to eat.

I think there should be a market for quick brace repairs when you need something to wait for your appointment. If someone had a business like that I would use them all the time!

dena

#5 Post by dena »

oh my gosh that's awful! I'm glad you got it fixed...hope you get lots of food and pain free sleep now!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

littleshaddies

#6 Post by littleshaddies »

Is there any way you can get the whole wire out? That is your best bet.
If this happened to me I know I will be taking ligatures off and getting rid of the wire. You can get new one since your appointment is so soon.
Hope you feel better soon.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

Just clip it with fingernail/toenail clippers.... clip it right after your last still-attached bracket. Eiither that or bend the wire back there-- bend it under/out of your way, etc.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

TheSilverSmileChileno

#8 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

fyrelight wrote:Just clip it with fingernail/toenail clippers.... clip it right after your last still-attached bracket. Eiither that or bend the wire back there-- bend it under/out of your way, etc.

yep the wire is so cheap, and easy to get out assitans takes seconds to do it
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

dkt3

#9 Post by dkt3 »

When I called the ortho he advised not to take out or cut the wire. I ended up not cutting it, but I did try to with clippers however I couldnt even mark the wire. It was quite flexible and went back to its original position immediately.

Im just so amazed when something like this happens we just have to deal with whatever pain it includes. There is really not much we can do but wait for the ortho.

krwhite777

#10 Post by krwhite777 »

here's a idea... wet cotton balls work wonders for poking arch wires weather lingual or normal... hope it helps
[/url]